Search instead for 
Do you mean 

rx7620 v/nPars questions

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Regular Advisor

rx7620 v/nPars questions

Hi all,

I am looking for some information in partitioning an rx7620 server. It will have 4 MX2 processors.

I need to have a total of 4 vPars each with 2 processors and I am not about the boot disk configuration. I read that you cannot use the system boot disk to boot other vPars. Does this mean I need an external cage with another 3 disks just to boot these vPars?

Also should I create 2 nPars or 1 nPar with all system resources?

Many thanks for your help.

Marius
"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." --Linus Torvalds
12 REPLIES
Respected Contributor

Re: rx7620 v/nPars questions

create 1 npar.
you only need 2 disk enclosure. internal disk can accomodate 2 vpar.

I have RP7420 with 3 vpar. I only need 1 external storage.

thanks
freddy
Regular Advisor

Since there are 4 disks should I not be able to use each one as a potential boot device for a vPar? (I know I loose mirroring)

"The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it." --Linus Torvalds
Regular Advisor

One other thing I forgot to ask...Do the boot disks for vPars need to be on different controllers?
Respected Contributor

yes you need different controller different scsi/ hardware path. You can' t assign disk at same path for 2 vpar.
RP7420 for internal disk have 2 bus. so you can create 2 vpar at internal disk, but for the 3th vpar, you need external storage.

thanks
freddy
Regular Advisor

wow. The client will not like this very much...So if I want 8 vPars on this rx7620 I need an additional 6 scsi controllers?

Can you point me to some documentation from HP about this?

Thanks,

Marius
Respected Contributor

check at page 13
http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5991-0690/5991-0690.pdf

You can used IVM ( integrity virtual machine ) to solved your issue about i/o slot.

thanks
freddy
Regular Advisor

I dont think that document was the right one. I am going to look into IVM as well but I would like to know If I need a scsi controller for every vpar boot device or I can use one scsi controller and attach all the vpar boot devices up to it?

Many thanks
Respected Contributor

please read how configure vpar at this web.

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5991-0690/5991-0690.pdf

thanks
freddy
Regular Advisor

The document you are linking to is called "Troubleshooting Ignite-UX Installation Booting" :)

I did however find this:

Each virtual partition requires a minimum of:
1 CPU
Enough memory to run HP-UX 11i and applications. Although the minimum requirement of memory for HP-UX
is 256MB on an rp5470, and 512MB on an rp7400, Superdome or rp8400, it is generally
recommended that 1GB of memory be available per each installed CPU running HP-UX.
1 unique boot device connected through SCSI or Fiber Channel card on a PCI bus or a Local Bus Adapter
(LBA) that is uniquely owned by that virtual partition)
1 unique LAN card on a PCI-bus/LBA that is uniquely owned by that virtual partition. On Integrity systems,
the LAN card must be bootable if you are installing the OE onto a virtual partition using Ignite-UX. See
the Chapter 4 of the Installing and Managing HP-UX Virtual Partitions document for more information on
how vPars uses Ignite-UX.
Notes:
Each PCI bus/LBA is uniquely owned by 1 virtual partition. Therefore, the internal LAN card and storage
connections (associated with each core I/O card) can only be owned by a single virtual partition. All
other virtual partitions require a separate LAN card for network connection, and external storage (and
associated SCSI/FC connections to that storage for boot).
An LBA is typically equivalent to one I/O slot, except if daisy-chained.
The LAN and boot device, unique to a virtual partition, can be combined into 1 LBA though a supported
combination card.

Thanks.
Respected Contributor

sorry wrong link.

http://docs.hp.com/en/6769/T1335-90038.pdf

thanks
freddy
Acclaimed Contributor

The I/O assignments are made at the LBA level (let's say this is a PCI slot).

A vPar owns a PCI slot and this cannot be shared.

Run

ioscan -fnCba
to see all avail. LBAs.
The 4 internal disks are associated to 3 LBAs, because the lower disks are on the same bus.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Regular Advisor

Thank you all for your help. We will be using vpars and an external cage for all the vpars boot disks with associated scsi controllers.

Marius
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event