Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system consolidation

Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

system consolidation

Hi all,

Please let me know what do we need to consider or what steps we need to take to consolidate systems or to move one applicaton to another system where there is nother one running.

One of things I know we need to consider is to estimate how much system resources will be consumed, and all filesets on the cosolidated system. But what about others, for instance, what exactly cpu and memory utilization will be...?

thanks in advance!

none
4 REPLIES
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: system consolidation

Roger,

When looking at system consolidation, one has to look at many factors:

o number of users

===> how will the users connect to the applications

===> how much memory does each application require per user

===> how much other resources are required (ie disk space, socket connections, database connections,...)

o application integration

===> how much memory does each database require

===> how much disk is needed

===> how will the applications play with each other

o kernel parameters

===> will the combination of applications require huge kernel parameters that might stifle the system performance

===> will the combination of applications require more than the kernel parameters allow

o speed

===> when combining applications into a single computer you have to at least meet or exceed the current service level agreements.

===> can backups be performed in a timely manner

===> can restores be performed on one application without degrading the performance of the other applications

o processing windows

===> can you satisfy the current processing "windows" and possibly provide better performance

===> will the combination of the applications cause production bottle necks

What you need to do is purchase glance/measureware and perfview and gather processing statistics on the existing applications in their existing environments. Then you need to "overlay" the statistics and make sure that you can provide the desired performance in a combined system.

I've done this a lot over the years and the benefits of having "combined" "LIKE" applications on a single server has great benefits, especially if those applications "share" data. One server is usually easier to maintain than many.

Good luck!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Hi Harry,

thanks for the message. Seems you are very experienced on this issue.

I have following questions:

1. how do you forecast the system response time on the combined system after two merged applications, and users?

2. how do you tell the concrete cpu and memory statistics/utilization data on the combined system. I have glance, perfview, and measureware. but how would you tell the overlayed preformance data.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.

Roger
none
Hanry Zhou
Super Advisor

Also,
3. how do I check out the socket connections?

Thanks,
none
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Roger,

1. how do you forecast the system response time on the combined system after two merged applications, and users?

Using glance/measureware & perfview, on both existing servers, I try to gather the processing requirements, especially this area:

o Number of processes (Mostly user stuff)
o Number of logins (telnet's, etc)
o Amount of memory being used
o Network IO
o Disk IO
o Semaphores, files, inodes, ... used

It's important to focus in on the "PEAK" values, that way when you combine the two or more application servers into one, you don't screw the users (and yourself).

2. how do you tell the concrete cpu and memory statistics / utilization data on the combined system. I have glance, perfview, and measureware. but how would you tell the overlayed preformance data.

Roger, what I normally do is to put the existing data on each server into a table, especially these things:
o Memory (physical in the server)
o CPU's and Speed
o Network cards and Speed
o kernel parameters

The left side of the table (rows) has your labels for Memory, cpu, kernel parameter names. The Columns are one for each server.

Let's say you want to combine two applications that have a lot in common and they share data so it might make sense to "combine" them. What you can't do is just add up the kernel parameters from serverA and serverB and come up with a parameter for a combined server. What's necessary is to know what is actually being used, and preparing the new combined system so that you don't have to upgrade it for at least a year, I personally like to push for 1.5 years!

KPX = Kernel Parameter X (whatever)
Let's say serverA has KPX for 5000 and serverB has KPX for 3400, well the combined server probably does not need KPX to be 8400. If serverA only ever uses 2300 KPX's, and serverB only uses 899 KPX's, then the max you probably need is 3199 KPX's, so setting KPX to 5000 is very logical.

I sure hopt I'm not losing ya! I did capacity planning for too long I guess, even my SA's don't fully understand this stuff.

3. how do I check out the socket connections?

"lsof" - can show files and socket connections, plus a socket connection is a file open like any other file.

lsof:
http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Sysadmin/lsof-4.61/

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die