Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

upgrade to 11.0 or 11.i?

Occasional Contributor

upgrade to 11.0 or 11.i?

We were initially planning on upgrading to 11.0 but the install and upgrade documentation recommended instead to go to 11.i. What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of this? What additional functionality is available in 11.i that is not available at 11.0, is 11.0 more mature and stable than 11.i, etc...

Thanks,
Shawn
8 REPLIES
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: upgrade to 11.0 or 11.i?

Hi Shawn:

To help you make your decision, take a look at this:

http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/operating/index.html

One of the biggest differences is in the packaging of "flavors" of 11.i in lieu of separately licensing individual applications.

...JRF...
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Shawn,

There are a number of threads on the forum regarding this issue. Search on upgrade and 11i and you will find quite a bit.

I've had 11i up in a sandbox environment for about 3 months now and have been very pleased with it; I especially like the dynamically tunable kernel parameters. I've found no code compatabilty problems.

For what it's worth, Clay

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Trusted Contributor

11.0 has been out for a long time and is tried and tested, 11i is fairly new, probably just fine, so its pretty much your decision "old reliable or latest and greatest"
Honored Contributor

Hi Shawn

Please upgrade to HPUX 11.00 as it fairly stable , and other dependancies also include not only that the OS got to be stable but the versions of Batabases released on that OS should be stable too , with lesser no. of pathches and more trustworthy. Dont risk for 11i incase you have an option.

Manoj Srivastava
Occasional Advisor

11.0 has been around since 1997. It is very mature and widely used.

Another thing to take into consideration is the additional resources that 11i takes (ie memory and disk space). If you have an older box with little resources, 11.0 will serve you better.

You might also check with you app venders to verify that they support 11i.
Honored Contributor

Hello Shawn,

the probably most important reason for you will be, as I
assume, support: for your applications, databases, and
such - are they supported under HP-UX 11.11?

The OS itself seems to run fine, the dynamic kernel
parameter tuning is VERY useful, the only thing I do
remember NOT to like is the missing/broken metric in
"sar -a" about the "dirbk/s"...

HP-UX 11.11 does have more restrictions in terms of
"older" hardware, especially EISA-bus-interfaces (not
supported), some network-cards, and similiar - do you
have anything like that currently? Check first!

Just my ?0.02,
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

you can't update a system from 10.20 directly to 11i. You must go through 11.00 unless you're cold installing.

I'd go for 11i if you're critical about ha and 100% uptime.. wrt olar, icod, and the OE benefits

Also easier upgrade for the future.

As was mentioned 11.00 is more mature, 11i at my last understanding had to apply some 11.00 fixes.

Later,
Bill
It works for me (tm)
Honored Contributor

You make no mention of what hardware you are using, the apps or your business environment. Without such info our answers can't be specific to *your* situation.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event