Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

vPar is hanging

Regular Advisor

vPar is hanging

Hello All,
I am new to vpars and I am getting lost somewhere here. I have an rx7620 with 2 cells with one (1) npar that has all io. I have installed the vpar software. Created the first vpar which includes the current boot desk for this vpar.

One I go to boot the vpar it just sits there at booting kernel. Am I doing something wrong?

Attached is the ioscan and here is the command I did:

vparcreate -p todd -a cpu::4 -a mem::16384 -a io:0.0.0 -a io:0.0.2 -a io:0.0.0.3.0.6.:BOOT

vparefiutil -u -D /stand/vpdb

vparenv -m vPars

Any help would be apprecaited
8 REPLIES

Re: vPar is hanging

Well all I can really think of is that io:0.0.0.3.0.6.:BOOT should be io:0.0.0.3.0.6.0:BOOT
I assume you have checked the Release Notes for obvious thibgs like firmware etc.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Acclaimed Contributor

The "vparcreate" command looks like being too short.

You should add the the number of bound and maximum CPU and at least the LBA where the boot disk resides (-a io:0.0.0.3) explicitly, and why not, the certain CPUs.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Regular Advisor

The LBA for the boot disk is 0.0.0 as is listed in the IO Scan. Do I need to get deeper and add the path to the controller? I would assume that would be included in the add of the LBA which is 0.0.0.

Thanks for any help.

Regular Advisor

Strike that the vpar did boot it just took a while. What can I do to decrease the amount of time to boot?

Due to the way Vpars work, they do take longer to boot than a Vpar, especially when they have large amounts of memory. Glad yyou got it to work.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Regular Advisor

The problem with the slow boot was the Memory Granularity. Once I increased it to 1024 the problem went away completly.

-Al
Acclaimed Contributor

Nice to hear this.
You are right about the LBA, but unfortunately I cannot do an "ioscan -fnkCba" like you ;-)

Anyway, the result of "vparstatus -v" would be interesting, because of the CPUs. If you don't set a maximum number, you could have problems with assigning unbound CPUs later.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Regular Advisor

the ILM and the CLM had to be set to 1024 that would increase the boot speed.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event