1752363 Members
5981 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Polyserve Matrix Event Viewer is Empty

Rebus
Occasional Advisor

Polyserve Matrix Event Viewer is Empty

I have a Matrix with 6 servers. One of the servers displays empty window in the Polyserve event viewer. this happens both when i try to view it on the server itself and from another server. I have checked the matrix.log file and there is stuff in there. I renamed it and let Polyserve create new one and this did not change anything. Other servers display their event viewers fine. I have no filters applied. Did anyone ever see this?
6 REPLIES 6
Emil Velez
Honored Contributor

Re: Polyserve Matrix Event Viewer is Empty

What version ?
Windows or Linux ?

Did you try rotate event log option ?

Rebus
Occasional Advisor

Windows 2003 x64.
Polyserve 3.6.1
as i said in my post, i have renamed matrix.log file and Polyserve created new file. both old and new files are readable and appear to be OK. Is there another way to do log rotation?
Rebus
Occasional Advisor

Bump! Anyone?
Dan Tyndale
Advisor

Sometimes Microsoft does not flush PolyServe events to logs. I have seen this when server has some HW or SW issue. Microsoft will stop flushing information in log from cache to the logs.

mx matrix log thisisatest

To verify that the logs are being written to the logs.

mx matrix ├в matrix commands
Use the following mx matrix commands to perform matrix-wide operations.
Command Description
destroy Destroy the matrix
dump Dump or restore matrix configuration information
status Display status information

log├в Insert an event message into the matrix event log
mx matrix log
In the log, the source of the message will be set to ├в User├в and the Severity will be set to ├в Info.├в The ID assigned to the message will be in the range 39000-39999.
Rebus
Occasional Advisor

I did:
mx matrix log thisisatest

I received email notification immediately abouth this event. This message also appeared in the event logs on all servers in the matrix except for one problematic server.
it showed up in the Windows event log fine, but not in the Polyserve. i have checked the file C:\Program Files\PolyServe\MatrixServer\conf\matrix.log and this message is there. but the entire matrix.log file does not get displayed in the polyserve event viewer. This issue is not causing any functionality problems, just strange annoyance.
Dan Tyndale
Advisor

The matrix.log is really the only common ground you will find. It is the only log that has events duplicated in this way, even though it does, you will still find unique entries in matrix.log for each node because of shutdowns, reboots and fences. There is enough common ground to figure out where you├в re at though, which is why we usually use the matrix.log to establish a timeline for the cluster.

We consider all other logs on a node to be islands, isolated from the log events on the other nodes. Mxlogd attempts to use multicast when available but will fall back to using unicast.

Could be communication issue. i would verify your network switch is properly configured for multicast, make certain flow control, RSS, and all the offloads are disabled, and reboot the box at your next maintenance window. Windows does handle writing events to event logs and after all, this is windows :)