cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

957 Remote Console Modem

Michael P. O'Brien
Occasional Advisor

957 Remote Console Modem

I have a remote console modem (port 21)connected to a 957. The problem that I am experiencing is when I connect to that modem I get a system prompt back after hitting CTRL+BREAK but it won't allow me to type any commands at the prompt. Is there some setting in SYSGEN like the device id or something similar that may not be configured correctly? I am using a Supra 28.8 modem.
3 REPLIES
Kwan Fong, Emile
Honored Contributor

Re: 957 Remote Console Modem

Hello Michael,

To use the remote modem on ldev#21 as a "remote console", you need to enable the remote console at the physical console terminal (ldev#20) using Ctrl-B, then CM>ER (Enable Remote).

Once the remote console is enabled, you can then access the console remotely from ldev#21; the "BREAK" key is used to gain write access to the remote console.
King is the customer!
Eric Sorensen_1
Honored Contributor

Hello Michael,

It is very unlikely you will be able to use a modem OTHER THAN a HP Support-Link modem for remote console. If your system has HP hardware support, then you are entitled to a HP-supplied modem. Contact the Response Center to request a modem.

There are two modes to the remote access port on the back of the system:

CTRL-B ER enables the mirroring of the physical console; CTRL-B DR disables remote console and leaves the port as a regular session-port (must do a Hello login as with any other connection). Unless you need to be doing console-only commands, it is recommended to leave the port in DR mode, for security.

Note: almost any modem will work fine when connected to a DTC modem port, using HP cable 40233a. If you have a DTC, then I recommend you commect your Supra modem there.
A problem well defined is half solved.
Michael P. O'Brien
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the info. I did find a spare support modem which got me up and running without trying to figure out all the AT commands necessary to disable the modem intelligence of the Supra.