cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing an HP3000 system by modem

Jim English
Occasional Contributor

Accessing an HP3000 system by modem

I have a US Robotics 56K modem on my HP3000. I can connect to the modem but I get no login prompt. The cursor just blinks. We're running MPE/iX on the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
7 REPLIES
Glenn A. Mitchell
Valued Contributor

Re: Accessing an HP3000 system by modem

Is the modem on the support port (LDEV 21)? If so, is remote access enabled via the console? If the modem is on a DTC port, is it a modem port or 3-pin port?

paul courry
Honored Contributor

Have you configured the port using NMMGR?

NMMGR
Open Config
DTS
Go To Userport
Jim English
Occasional Contributor

The modem is connected to a DTC72 MX, not the support port. The ports on this particular card are all modem ports. I configured them using a profile call TELCOR, which we use for other modem ports on an older DTC48. I'm not familiar with the Userport configuration in NMMGR. These modem ports are used for remote users to access from other locations. The card is configured as a card type of A and each set of ports on the card is configured as M for modems, which should all be correct. The TELCOR profile's configurations is as follows:

Terminal type 10
Line speed 9600
Record width 80
Modem type 1
Data length/parity NONE
Stop bits 1
Hardware handshaking N
Enable flow control Y
Reset HP terminal N
Speed/Parity sensing Y
Allow :HELLO logon Y
NLIO device N
Gordon Gidluck
Frequent Advisor

What type of cable are you using? (If using a non-hp part, how is it wired?)

Jim English
Occasional Contributor

I'm using an HP cable. It's the same cable we use for the modems connected to the modem ports on the DTC48. The number listed on the connectors is 92219Q. This cable has worked in the past. Thanks.
Gordon Gidluck
Frequent Advisor

What type of connect string do you get when you connect?

It probably needs to be setup with an AT command which forces the modem to 9600 baud with no compression (ARQ???). This AT command will be in the manual. Then write the changes to NVRAM.

You will want to hookup to a PC serial port so you can configure and check the settings in NVRAM.

Eric Sorensen_1
Honored Contributor

Hello Jim,

According to the DTC Cabling and Racking guide (5961-0373, p. 2-19), you MUST NOT use the 92219Q cable with a DTC's Modem Distribution Panel (MDP), as that cable can cause damage to the MDP. You must use cable part number 40233A. Be sure to connect the "data set" side to the modem, and the "cpu" or "computer" side of the cable to the DTC port. The profile you described should be OK, but I would recommend you set the DTC port's baud rate to the maximum the modem can support (or the max for the DTC port: 19200). The modem should be configured to be as "dumb" as possible (some modems actually have a "dumb mode"), because the dialing-modem and the DTC port are going to handshake-- the answering-modem should not attempt to influence the handshaking between the dialer and the DTC port. Hope that helps.
A problem well defined is half solved.