cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hp modem connection

Marvin Furuya
Occasional Contributor

Hp modem connection

Predictive and the HP modem supplied by HP was just setup by HP. We can connect to the modem but we get no MPE/Ix prompt. The modem is connected to the (3way connector)modem/terminal/ups connection on the HP not through the DTC 16mx. We are using Reflections to dial up.
8 REPLIES
Eric Sorensen_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Hp modem connection

Hello Marvin,

Does the modem show a TR light? If not, then the port might be hung, or not configured correctly. If this is an A-class, then you should look at ctrl-b CA to verify terminal type is HPTERM (not vt100) and 9600, and also look at NMMGR's USER PORT config (should be 21, 9600, none, and modem type 1).

If all is configured correctly, then you could try resetting the port by doing ctrl-b MR (wait for the response "modem reset") to prove the connection is OK, then do ctrl-b XD and R to reset the core i/o. If that does not bring back the TR light, then shutdown the 3000 and pull the power-plug to force a reset. You must pull the plug, as the core i/o stays powered-up even when the power switch is off.

If TR still does not light, then try enabling the remote mode-- now called "GSP": crtl-b ER and then G. The TR light should show, and you should be able to connect as parallel console. This would prove the modem and cable are OK. If all configurations are correct, and the power-cycle of the 3000 does not relight the TR when in session mode, then we should open a hardware case with the Response Center and request the core i/o board be replaced.
A problem well defined is half solved.
Marvin Furuya
Occasional Contributor

Eric,

The tr light is light and the 56k light as well. Ldev 21 is correct thru nmmgr. We can hear and see the modem connecting. Predictive can connect and transfer so I would think the cable and modem are good.

Thanks
Eric Sorensen_1
Honored Contributor

Hello Marvin,

If you have a TR light then it should work. If not, it is possible still that the port is hung. Can you enable remote (GSP) mode, and try to connect? Have you tried to reset the core i/o board with the ctrl-B XD R? Is the port locked (ctrl-B ER and then S or G to unlock)?
Kwan Fong, Emile
Honored Contributor

Hello Marvin,

The way you describe the modem connection, your server seems to be an A-class or N-class server.

There is a good document in the ITRC Technical Knowledge Base which provides guidelines to configure the remote modem.

The document id is MPEKBRC00006864 (MPE/iX - Guidelines to configure PCI remote modem on A/N-Class)

King is the customer!
MARVIN_5
Occasional Visitor

Eric or Kwan,

We have tried reseting the io board, checked the ports and still couldn't connect. So, we tried using our old modem (MT1932ZDX) connected to the new e3000/a500 using the new cable that came with the new modem (MT5634ZBA) and it works fine, we can connect, log in and predictive also works. Would there be any reason for us to change the setting within the modem. Would we have to select a baud rate on the hp for the modem? Is it something with the handshaking between modems?
Eric Sorensen_1
Honored Contributor

Hello Marvin,

The ctrl-B MR command resets and configures the modem with the AT string it needs, so if you did that with the 56k modem, it should have been configured OK (don't do the MR command with the 19.2 modem-- the system will send 56k AT strings to it!)

Your description makes me think the 56k modem is malfunctioning. I would suggest replacing it (or, leave the 19.2 modem there).
MARVIN_5
Occasional Visitor

Eric,

I can connect to the modem, but I don't get an MPE/IX prompt. Is there any other setting that the HP e3000 needs. Through Reflections the term type is set at 70092/70096, could it be setting of flow control or perfereneces for the modem.
Is there any doc's on what the settings should be on the connection setup.

Thanks,
Eric Sorensen_1
Honored Contributor

Hello Marvin,

I don't have more to add-- please reread my first response. A hung port is not uncommon, and you will see the modem answer, but will see no prompt.

If you enable remote-mode (GSP) and it works, and session-mode does not, then the session-mode port is hung. If it does not work in remote-mote (GSP), then you should suspect the modem or cable is malfunctioning. If one modem works but another modem does not, then you probably have a bad modem.