1748170 Members
4157 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: 10 Gig Interconnectivity

Kemosabe
Occasional Advisor

10 Gig Interconnectivity

We currently have 4 ProCurve Switches.  2 are 2920s and 2 are 2910s.  The 2910s already have a 10 Gig Connection between them.

Wondering what are hardware options are for a 10 Gig link between the 2 2920 switches as well as our hardware options for a 10 Gig link between a 2920 and 2910. 

I'm assuming we'll need to take advantage of the SPF+ ports and buy approprpiate transceivers/modules for fiber connections?

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide.

5 REPLIES 5
EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor

The 2920 series switches support hardware stacking, making two physical switches act like a single logical switch. I would recommend this for you. It uses a dedicated stacking module and cable(s). For connectivity to your 2910s, there are two different types of 10Gig modules available for the 2920, 10Gig SFP+ and a 10Gig-T modules. The 2920 supports two 10Gig modules in one switch. 

You can view the part numbers for the modules and cables in the switch specs at: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04111401

Regards,
Eric

Kemosabe
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Eric.  This has helped push me in the right direction.  However, I"m still a bit overwhelmed by all of the options.  Would you be able to help me narrow it down a bit further?

From the document provided, I should do the following to stack the 2 2920s together.

Module: J9733A (1 for each switch)

Cable: J9734A (0.5 meters would be enough)

In regards to the 2910 to 2920 connection, would there be any advantage to going with 10 Gig-T Modules versus the SPF+ ones?  Looks like there are about 4 SPF+ transceivers to choose from.  What is the difference between them?

Thanks!

EricAtHP
Esteemed Contributor

The quick answer is that both ends need to be the same. So it highly depends on what you already have on your 2910s. 

In general, 10Gig-T is cheaper because you can use standard Cat-6 cable whereas fiber connections allow for greater distances. The different SFP+s are for different technologies, fiber types, and distances. 

If you still need more help, what do you currently have on your 2910s and what is the distance you are trying to span?

Kemosabe
Occasional Advisor

The 2910s currently only have a 10 Gig Interconnectivty link between them using a interconnectivty module and cable on the back of them.  All four SFP ports are free on each and only have blanks covering them at the moment.

They are literally only a few rack units a part, so distance is extremely minimal, in which case I'm assuming it would make more sense to stick with 10Gig-T?

If that's the case, I just need to a 10Gig-T module for both the 2910 and 2920 of the same kind and the appropriate cable?

Thanks again.

Mahmoud-Refaat
Occasional Advisor

the optimum way is to use the dedicated  staking modules to connect between the switches but if you looking for just 10 GE connection see the below

if the distance is less than 7 meter between the 2920 switches (there is DAC with 15 meter length but is discontinued now)  the most suitable option for you will be the direct attached cable DAC like this :

HPE X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 1m Direct Attach Copper Cable (J9281B)
HPE X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 3m Direct Attach Copper Cable (J9283B)
HPE X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 7m Direct Attach Copper Cable (J9285B)
HPE X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 10m Direct Attach Copper Cable (J9286B)    discontinued
HPE X242 10G SFP+ to SFP+ 15m Direct Attach Copper Cable (J9287B)     discontinued

the benefit of this method that if you want later you can benefit from the 10 SFP+ modules and introduce the  SFP+ SR, LR or ZR

and also between the HP 2910 and the HP 2920 you can use the 10 DAC cable 

the DAC cable uses the same module like SFP+