1748111 Members
3765 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

2920 LACP or trunk for iscsi

welsh_jimster
Occasional Advisor

2920 LACP or trunk for iscsi

I've got a procurve 2920 which I'm using mainly for iscsi traffic to my MSA 2040.

The MSA has two controllers, each with a pair of 1GB iscsi adapters. What I would like todo is team these adapters so I have a throughput of 2GB per controller. Is this possible??

Whats the best way to set this up, LACP , trunk or another method?

Thanks

Jim

2 REPLIES 2
Chrisd131313
Trusted Contributor

Re: 2920 LACP or trunk for iscsi

Hi Welsh_Jimster,

I am not so sure the MSAs will allow port aggrigation - I can't be sure as I have only used the SAS varient, but from a switch perspective, you would just need to setup a static trunk aggregating the ports you have the MSA's iSCSI ports connected to and then add that newly created trunk to your storage VLAN as an untagged member. It should be as simple as that, as long as you can trunk iSCSI ports on the MSA - looking at the help on the controller I am not so sure you can - but maybe a question for the storage forum.

-----------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to mark a post resolved if your question was answered.
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: 2920 LACP or trunk for iscsi

Howdy,
Put an individual IP address (from your iSCSI subnet) on each of the 4 ports and configure your host's MPIO driver to "see" the 4 interfaces on the storage.
MPIO has a whole load of load-balancing stuff built-in that is way better than rolling the dice with LACP.
Do some googling for mpio and iscsi - Microsoft has some quite good technet articles.
Ta
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me