5688 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3800 24SFP 2SFP+ Switch Web access

GordonB1
Occasional Visitor

3800 24SFP 2SFP+ Switch Web access

Hi, first time on here guys.

I bought a Procurve 3800 24SFP 2SFP+ Switch and have loaded the default setting ok with no problem. (both ways - erase startup-config and using the reset/clear buttons). There are no errors showing through the event log and i have setup an IP Address of 192.168.10 255.255.255.0.

The problem is that when i try to connect through web browser IE11 or Mozilla Firefox, it cannot connect. If I ping the IP address i get a "Destination host unreachable" error.  The LED on the Management port is green and seems ok.

I'm I doing something silly or do I need to do more configuring first?? Your help would be very much appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Are you sure you correctly set up the (Switch) IP Address, Subnet Mask and, eventually, the Default Gateway...saved the configuration...and you try - once you're connected on the same Subnet - to connect through Telnet, SSH or to login via Web Management from your management host (ping should work)?

See page 10, 18 to20 of HPE ArubaOS-Switch Basic Operation Guide Version 16.02 (this guide should be good enough also if your Switch is running KA.15.18 or KA.15.17).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
GordonB1
Occasional Visitor

Hi Parnassus,   yes i've done the setup that way but sadly the same result. I've got 3 of these switches and all got same problem.. Must be something I'm doing wrong. I'm using Windows 7 Ulitmate..That should be ok ?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Host's Operating System shouldn't be an issue (I hope you haven't any AV/Software Firewall on the host that may interfere).

Are you sure your host is in the same Subnet that you configured on your Switch?

Let's say (just an example):

• Switch on Subnet 255.255.255.0 with IP Address 192.168.10.1 and Default Gateway 192.168.10.254
  • Host on Subnet 255.255.255.0 with IP Address 192.168.10.2 and Default Gateway 192.168.10.254

Default Gateway isn't strictly required for the operation you're trying to do.

• Is the Host 192.168.10.2 able to ping successfully the Switch 192.168.10.1?
  • Is the Host 192.168.10.2 able to connect successfully to the Switch 192.168.10.1 through a SSH/Telnet session?
  • Is the Ethernet Cabling between the Switch and the Host really good?
  • Where is the Ethernet Cable connected to (any standard Ethernet Port should be good)?

Silly questions but necessary.

I ask because the first setup you've done was executed probably thorugh the Serial Console cable (since the Switch didn't received an IP addressing via a DHCP Sever, Am I right?)...so the Ethernet Cable you are probably using now wasn't used before against that same Switch (Am I right?).

I'm not an HPE Employee
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

The 3800 swtches have an OOBM port (labelled Mgmt), and in the default config this port is set to receive a DHCP address. Did you set correct IP address and subnet mask on the OOBM port, or did you use another port as uplink and configured your mgmt VLAN on that port?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yep, doing the management through an OOBM port or through a Data port shouldn't matter (*) if the minimal Switch configuration through the Console port (which is the common initial task) has been carried out correctly.

(*) means respectively:

• Out-of-Band networked connection through the dedicated Management port (the Mgmt port of the Switch).
  • In-Band networked connection through any Data port on the switch.

I'm not an HPE Employee