1745852 Members
4219 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3rd party 40Gb optics in 5406R

n022er
Visitor

3rd party 40Gb optics in 5406R

Until recently we were using 3rd party 4oGb SR4 and LR optics in a 5406R switch. Now we've upgraded to 16.xxx.xxx they no longer work. Does anyone use 3rd party 40Gb optics in a 5406R running version 16.xxx.xxx and if so who manufactured them

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Upgraded to KB.16 from what earlier software version/branch?

What is the (sanitized) output of show interfaces transceiver detail command?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
n022er
Visitor

found the solution.

Since version 16.02 there is a hidden command that needs to be entered before 3rd party optics are installed.

allow-unsupported-transceiver

This produces a disclaimer which must be acknowleged and then 3rd party optics start working,

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yep, that new command/feature was already known...if I recall correctly it was introduced with the very first KB.16.02 software release...in reading your first post the point became: how that unsupported optics was able to work correctly - as you stated - before the upgrade to KB.16.02 you did?

That new feature, once enabled, lets an installed 3rd Party Transceiver to be properly "recognized" (without any warranty it will function correctly) while before its introduction the same 3rd Party Transceiver was treated as unsupported making it practically non usable...so the new functionality is an "enabler" for transceviers that, before, didn't work.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner