New Discussion

Aruba 2930f Switch with multiple VSF domain

SOLVED
Go to solution
JW2018
Occasional Advisor

Aruba 2930f Switch with multiple VSF domain

Hi Guys,

I need to set up VSF with 9 aruba 2930f switches. I planed to rack 5 aruba 2930f switch on level 1 and 4 aruba 2930f switch on level 2.  According to Aruba 2930f manual guide page 742 ' The maximum number of members in a VSF stack is 4 ' So I have to create 3 VSF domain. How can I link these three VSF together ? Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Aruba 2930f Switch with multiple VSF domain

Actually, if your Aruba 2930F switches run ArubaOS-Switch 16.06 (released with first software version WC.16.06.0006), the maximum number of VSF Members was doubled from 4 up to 8 so you, with updated Aruba 2930F, could deploy a VSF Domain made of up to 8 Aruba 2930F.

The point is that you still have 9 so one Aruba 2930F shall stay out of that VSF deployment (VSF domain).

The alternative is to proceed with deploying two VSF Domain (say VSF Domain 1 and VSF Domain 2) each one made of, respectively 5 and 4 members, with ArubaOS-Switch WC.16.06.0006 you can do that.

Then you can interconnect (uplink) both VSF Domains by means of a LACP Port Aggregation (trkx) distributed for resiliency on both ends at least on 4 VSF Members (for symmetry)...so, as example, you can create a trk1 on each VSF Domains and use as member ports four ports per side, each port belonging to a different VSF Member of each VSF Domain (let me say trk1: 1/1, 2/1, 3/1 and 4/1 of VSF 1 and trk1: 1/1, 2/1, 3/1 and 4/1 of VSF 2). Clearly it all depends on type of traffic flow you expect between VSF Domains and type of VSF Link (port speed) you have within each VSF Domain and LACP Port Aggregtion ports type you will use to uplink your East VSF to your West VSF (or your South VSF to your North VSF). 

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
JW2018
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Parnassus I will test your solution and let you know how it goes. 

JW2018
Occasional Advisor

Hi Parnssu,

What is the differece between dynamic and static LACP  ?

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hello JW2018, have a look at this thread to have a panoramic view about LACP.

You should read relevant guides for Aruba 2930F (there is an entire chapter about LACP and so about ports aggregation).

Use the Aruba 2930F documentation map to read about how to manage and configure it (select Manual 6).

If I were you I will configure a Static (Active) LACP four ports aggregation trunk on both ends using the command below:

trunk 1/1,2/1,3/1,4/1 trk1 lacp

that way you're going to aggegate port 1 of each VSF Member (from VSF Memebr 1 to VSF Member 4) to form a four ports Static (Active) LACP . You can obiouvsly use different ports than port 1 I used on the example above.

I'm not an HPE Employee
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Please don't forget to give a feedback using Kudos if you like received replies.

Please Accept the post as solution if you consider it helpful to solve your issue.

I'm not an HPE Employee
JW2018
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Parnassus and I will try the solution you recommended,

JW2018
Occasional Advisor

Hi Parnussus,

Can you give me some guide on how to upgrade the aruba 2930f firmware as I failed to backup start-up config to tftpd64 with error :Bind error 10013 An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. 69.254..242.38. Then, I changed the tftp port to 70 and local ports pool 70-71 and the error message disappeared but still can't upload statup config to tftp server directory. Can you advise me how  to resolve this issue ? Thanks.

Johnny 

parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

It's not clear: are you trying to upload the running configuration via TFTP to a remote TFTP Server (IP Public Address) or to a local TFTP Server? doing the upload to a local TFTP Server is trivial...doing the same to a remote TFTP Server requires that you grant full clearance to remote TFTP Server (remote site) from your Switch IP address (local site) and so you should be quite sure your Firewall (gateway on remote site) is not blocking relevant connection you're trying to setup.  

I'm not an HPE Employee
JW2018
Occasional Advisor

It works now after turning off firewall on my pc and enabling tftp client on switch