1752866 Members
3674 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot Flash Software Image (aka Update Firmware) - HP2920

jondehen
Advisor

Cannot Flash Software Image (aka Update Firmware) - HP2920

We have a HP Procurve 2920 switch and were unable to flash the firmware (software image) to the latest version.  We have successfully updated before.

As the screenshot shows, we are logged in as the admin user (which is the only "manager").  There are no IP authorized managers or management VLANs set (we restrict access to the switch via ACLs).  We tried with IE and Chrome, both on the Primary and Secondary images.  The behavior is that the upload would complete, but instead of prompting for reboot or similar the included error was shown.  We tried rebooting the switch in between attempts.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?  What is a resolution to get the latest firmware loaded?  Thank you kindly!

7 REPLIES 7
jondehen
Advisor

FYI, the error we received in the Web UI was: 

Upload Failed! Your are not authorized to upload files

ShaulZigdon
Frequent Visitor

Try using the old way- CLI - to update the firmware. 

try using this vid to help you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJb_ixYbfFk    it's not official but it's helpful and simple.

If not- maybe you need to purchse a new license in order to upgrade the fimrware to the latest version.

good luck

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@ShaulZigdon: AFAIK to upgrade the HP 2920 to latest WB.16.02 branch's version (or to any version of intermediate WB.15.17, WB.15.18 or WB.16.01 branches) a purchase is definitely not required.

Upgrading (upgrading to a newer branch or updating staying on a particular branch) was always been (and still is) free of charge and access to newer and archived Firmwares of any branch was (and still is) free too.

Probably the OP should use the CLI route to upgrade the HP 2920 Firmware (maybe using a USB Flash Memory Key for convenience): on Aruba 2920 manual various upgrade procedures are described in detail.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
ShaulZigdon
Frequent Visitor

you right about the software releases, but their are limitations for some specific kind of updates. check out the image from the HPE warranty summery. 

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yeah, but - IMHO - it's not a matter of Hardware versus Software incompatibility (the HP 2920 - should be able to sustain/accept a software upgrade from the actual WB.15.17 to WB.15.18, to WB.16.01 or to WB.16.02 without issues <-- See various Release Notes of each WB software Branch).

Probably that WB.15.17.0007 software version is just showing a (yet solved) bug...probably trying other upgrade methods (other than through Web GUI) should fix this situation.

As per your screenshot about HPE Warranty: the OP is not requiring (or asking for) any prioritization of a specific feature update, patch or fix...so the OP is not required to purchase anything...if he just limit himself to use what HPE is already providing publicly (public software upgrades) for the exact Switch model he owns.

I'm not an HPE Employee
jondehen
Advisor

I will try the update from the CLI instead and report back, but it may be a little while before I can find the downtime.  It's always ironic when the bug to fix a firmware issue is available....in the next firmware.

I have never heard of any additional licensing being required to update firmware versions.  I successfully upgrade a 5412 that evening with a similar firmware jump.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yep, exactly!

Luckily your Switch can manage two Firmware images...so you can use the secondary image as the target to be upgraded and then set to boot from it (keeping the old image available if something goes wrong).

I'm not an HPE Employee