Web and Unmanaged
1748265 Members
3871 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Cannot log into new switch. Followed directions to a tee. Its not my first rodeo either.

martinav
Occasional Contributor

Cannot log into new switch. Followed directions to a tee. Its not my first rodeo either.

Just got a J9984a, 1820-48g.  Brand new.  Setup a laptop with IP 192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0.  Plugged directly into switch.

It looks like it connects, but it wont hit the login switch with 192.168.1.1

I did do a 15+ sec hard reset.  No avail.

Please advise.

2 REPLIES 2
martinav
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cannot log into new switch. Followed directions to a tee. Its not my first rodeo either.

I can ping it from a cmd window (192.168.1.1).

Cannot telnet either... says "permission denied".  Havent even been asked for a login.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot log into new switch. Followed directions to a tee. Its not my first rodeo either.

Why do you think that Switch should have the Telnet server service enabled (if any at all)?

From what HPE OfficeConnect 1820 Switch Series Installation and Getting Started Guide (March 2017), it should fall back on default 192.168.1.1/24 IP Address if it doesn't found a valid DHCP Server releasing to it an alternative (or the same IP Address) in 120 seconds...so a question: do you have a device in the same LAN Segment and for the same Default VLAN that is acting as DHCP Server? if so...what is the IP Address released to the HPE OfficeConnect 1820 Switch (you should be able to verify that reading the DHCP Server Logs looking for the HPE Switch MAC Address).

I ask because you must be sure that the IP Address you're pinging and on which you believe there is the HPE Switch Web GUI is really that address (so DHCP presence matters).

If not, no DHCP Server is available, the Default 192.168.1.1/24 IP Address is valid (wait at least two minutes before connecting from Power On).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner