8191 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Centralized switch management tool for HP/Aruba

cmcarlzon
Occasional Contributor

Centralized switch management tool for HP/Aruba

Hi.

We have of the time typing this around 100 switches. Alot of the switches has just been left uttouched for to long (regarding firmware, VLANs, RADIUS, 802.1X etc, change passwords etc).

So I'm currently tasked with finding a software that can take all models we have, we have:

HP ProCurve 2530 and the Aruba 2530-series.

Is there some kind of software we can have to manage all of these and even push configuration? I check the Aruba Central, but from what I understood the 2530's can't connect to that one.

It doesn't have to be HPE specific software, but I think it might be good since we only have HP/Aruba.

I appriciate any suggestions.

3 REPLIES 3
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Re: Centralized switch management tool for HP/Aruba

You have two options: Intelligent Management Center (IMC) and Airwave. We have both and I find IMC easier to use for pushing new software and config changes to 2530 switches. But you should test both to see which one is best for you.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

We use HPE IMC 7.3 as our NMS for HP ProCurve (still running HP ProVision operating system) and newer Aruba (with latest ArubaOS-Switch operating system which is the rebranded/enhanced old HP ProVision os), no problems so far.

IMHO HPE IMC is more suited to DC usage while Aruba Airwave focus really well on Wireless and, secondarily, on Wired devices (as HP/Aruba Switches)...if you have Comware 5/7 or newer Aruba 8400/8320 it lacks some configuration features but it should still have some monitoring features (for Aruba 8320/8400 HPE IMC 7.3 lacks too). From this point of view HPE IMC is ahead (can manage Cisco's devices and more other vendors' devices).

Probably if you are dealing with an Aruba-only set of devices and you plan also to have Aruba Instant (controller-less) or Aruba Controllers - or a mix of them - as core of your Wireless infrastructure...Aruba Airwave 8 (Airwave 10 is on roadmap) would fit better since is mainly - let me say that - sort of Aruba for Aruba.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
parnassus
Honored Contributor

We use HPE IMC 7.3 as our NMS for HP ProCurve (still running HP ProVision operating system) and newer Aruba (with latest ArubaOS-Switch operating system which is the rebranded/enhanced old HP ProVision os), no problems so far.

IMHO HPE IMC is more suited to DC usage while Aruba Airwave focus really well on Wireless and, secondarily, on Wired devices (as HP/Aruba Switches)...if you have Comware 5/7 or newer Aruba 8400/8320 it lacks some configuration features but it should still have some monitoring features (for Aruba 8320/8400 HPE IMC 7.3 lacks too). From this point of view HPE IMC is ahead (can manage Cisco's devices and more other vendors' devices).

Probably if you are dealing with an Aruba-only set of devices and you plan also to have Aruba Instant (controller-less) or Aruba Controllers - or a mix of them - as core of your Wireless infrastructure...Aruba Airwave 8 (Airwave 10 is on roadmap) would fit better since is mainly - let me say that - sort of Aruba for Aruba.

For sure HPE IMC can be tested 60 days free.

Don't know if Aruba Airwave 8 offers a similar approach (probably yes but I'm not sure).

Edit: this thread on Aruba Airheads Community (Network Management section) could be an interesting read.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner