1752433 Members
5994 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Change member ID in stack

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Change member ID in stack

Yep, the screenshot above refers to HP ProCurve 2920 Switch Series Installation and Getting Started Guide (2013), the screenshot below came from the HP 2920 Switch Series Stacking Technical Whitepaper (2015)...I think there isn't a real difference about Stacking Cables placing between those two different ways (remember both are used to create a Chain Topology Stack).

Then a statement from the Technical Whitepaper cited above:

"There is no requirement to connect a chain (ALSO valid for a ring I add) topology in this exact way. For example, the four member chain does not need to have stacking port 1 on member 2 connected to stacking port 1 on member 1 (the top switch is member 1 and next switch is member 2, and so on). Stacking port 2 on member 2 may be connected to stacking port 1 on member 1.

Any one of the two stacking ports on the stacking module can be used to connect to any stacking port on the stacking module of the neighboring switch."

So it's a matter of how much you like having Stacking Cables in a way or another...personally I would use another different cabling scheme (especially reading statements reported above): since in Comware IRF implementation an essential requirement is that IRF Logical port 1 should always connect to IRF Logical Port 2 of the next IRF Stack member and there is a pretty standard way of binding physical ports to logical IRF Ports...I would use the same cabling methods found in IRF with the Aruba 2920 backplane stacking.

In other terms:

• Switch 1 Stacking Module Port 1 <-- Stacking Cable n°1 --> Switch 2 Stacking Module Port 2
  • Switch 2 Stacking Module Port 1 <-- Stacking Cable n°2 --> Switch 3 Stacking Module Port 2
  • Switch 3 Stacking Module Port 1 <-- Stacking Cable n°3 --> Switch 4 Stacking Module Port 2
  • Switch 4 Stacking Module Port 1 <-- Stacking Cable n°4 --> Switch 1 Stacking Module Port 2 <== This additional Stacking Cable n°4, if used, will create the loop back to Switch 1 and let the Stack to switch from a Chain Topology to a Ring Topology (which is better).

In any case both cabling methods you posted are valid.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner