Aruba & ProVision-based
1748112 Members
3511 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Confused about DHCP to obtain IP Adress topic in HP2520 G Advanced traffic management guide

ElsM
Occasional Contributor

Confused about DHCP to obtain IP Adress topic in HP2520 G Advanced traffic management guide

Hi All,

I am reading up in order to get some vlans introduced in my office network.
reading page I-41 -> I-43, i got a bit confused.

Here is the link to the Advanced Traffic manangemnt guide:
http://kmcs-service.austin.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c03486726-1.pdf

Do i understand correctly that if you have no management network defined, any pc on a vlan will be able to communicate with the DHCP server ? (Figure 1-33)

2 REPLIES 2
RobertDobre
Established Member

Re: Confused about DHCP to obtain IP Adress topic in HP2520 G Advanced traffic management guide

Hi Els, 

Not sure how the option 1-33 can be technically done, but anyway is not your case, as you need to have the management IP defined, otherwise the only option for configuring the switch will be through the console. 

I would suggest to stick to one of the 2 options you have for having another switch doing the inter-vlan routing and ip helper for DHCP scope or to configure the router to do the inter-vlan routing for you with subinterfaces (router on the stick).

Hope that helps,
Robert 

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Confused about DHCP to obtain IP Adress topic in HP2520 G Advanced traffic management guide

It's a bit unhelpful here because it's a bit of a cut and paste job.

What it's saying is that the Management LAN is intended as an isolated network for security, and packets are not routed to it from other VLANs. So it's probably easier giving it a static address and just connecting it to your management station.

If you don't have a secure network defined you can route between all the  VLANs and using DHCP relay between them, if it's enabled.

The unhelpful part is that the 2520 is a layer 2 switch only, so it won't route or DHCP relay anyway. So the answer to your question is no, it won't. Unfortunately HP networking sometimes lift sections of documentation and include them for products where it's not relevant.