Aruba & ProVision-based
1745795 Members
3791 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DHCP service on HPE Procurve 5406 Switch (J8699A)

Kartik_s
Occasional Contributor

DHCP service on HPE Procurve 5406 Switch (J8699A)

Hi all,

In my office we just want to change our IT infra using VLANs

our existing setup is,

There is no VLANs, from firewall all our end users getting IP through DHCP for servers we use some static IP.

in this set up we planned to do VLANs. we can do VLANs on firewall and can call them in edge switches but we are having 5406 switch between our firewall and the edge switchs.

so my query is can we create VLANs in 5406 or firewall ? means whether VLAN creation in switch is effective or creating VLAN in Firewall is effective ?

If we create a VLANs we have to provide a DHCP from our 5406. so that i can route all vlans traffic to firewall for internet.

Kindly advice best practices and let us know the proedures to configure VLANs and DHCP scope for them in switch. 

Thanks
Karthick_s
6 REPLIES 6
HP-Schrauber
Frequent Visitor

Hello Karthick_s

There are different possibilities.

The best option is to map the Vlans on your firewall as well as on your switch.
Then I would build a trunk between the firewall and switch.
On your firewall I would then pick up the individual Vlan and assign virtual interfaces with their own IP address ranges.

I hope I understood your request correctly.

greeting
M.Fuhr

Kartik_s
Occasional Contributor

Hi M.Fuhr,

thanks for the reply.

yes you understood the query and I also came to a solution like as you suggested.

First will be creating required VLANs on firwall and making my swich's uplink (from my firewall to Switch) as trunk.

In firewall itself can create DHCP pools for VLANs.

Thanks
Karthick_s
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Does the suggested scenario imply that Firewall is going to perform inter-VLANs routing (if that is necessary)?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Kartik_s
Occasional Contributor

Yes. In firewall we will configure inter vlan routing as required.

Thanks
Karthick_s
parnassus
Honored Contributor

That's interesting...I always though that a L3 capable switch as the 5400 series is...deserved the role of router, especially if - topologically speaking - it is the network core.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Kartik_s
Occasional Contributor

Yes  absolutely you are correct. L3 devices like 5400 series will be a router and core for the network. but here in my organization, they consider about accessibility ie. they good at firewall not familiar with this HP switch. so we planned to do all VLANs in firewall itself. here the switch act as a L2 switch.

Thanks
Karthick_s