6969 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

DT-Trunk with VRRP vs MSTP with VRRP?

UselessUser1
Contributor

DT-Trunk with VRRP vs MSTP with VRRP?

Hi,

I have a 5412zl which I am looking at replacing with a pair of 5406zl units to create chassis redundancy as our core.

The 5412zl core is performing IP Routing and also Policy Based Routing.

We are looking at working on enabling Multicast Routing in future for imaging purposes.

Our access switches (We have no distribution layer) are a variety of legacy 10/100 2524's up to brand new 2920's..

On our test 5406's I have configured up both the DT-Trunk with VRRP and MSTP with VRRP options and both seem to work and work well...

Would anyone advise one way or the other?

I am hesitant to use DT-Trunk simply because it is proprietary and has historically had issues... yet it does mean to the access device it just looks like a single device and therefore I do not need to manually balance out VLAN's using MSTP configuration to ensure both core devices are used.

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
C0LDWiR3D
Frequent Advisor

Re: DT-Trunk with VRRP vs MSTP with VRRP?

I would look at the comware series instead and use IRF stacking.
5500-HI if you don't need many 10G ports, else look at 58nn or 59nn series.
Chrisd131313
Trusted Contributor

Re: DT-Trunk with VRRP vs MSTP with VRRP?

Hi UselessUser1,

I can't comment on the Conwise kit as I have never used it, but from a 5400zl and DT perspective, as long as you are running the later firmware revisions (<K_15.10.xxxx) then you shouldn't have any issues with leveraging DT. The previous versions had a few bugs that were annoyances in production environments, but the later firmware has smoothed a lot of them out and it is a lot more stable now, especially if you are just looking at using it for switch to switch redundency/aggregation - there are a few new issues with DT to servers, if using Winblows 2012 and its ovely in built teaming ;)

-----------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to mark a post resolved if your question was answered.