1752861 Members
3754 Online
108791 Solutions
New Discussion

Free ProCurve Backup Utility for Windows

drewgreen_tjt
Occasional Visitor

Free ProCurve Backup Utility for Windows

I've spent the past week or so developing a free utility to backup HP ProCurve switches via Windows. It's a tool that I named "GhittoPCM" (the [no-longer] Ghetto Git-based ProCurve Configuration Manager). As of now, if run without being configured, it can backup the running-config of a device of your choosing via Telnet (using on-the-fly supplied credentials and device name). If you configure the .INI file, you can enter credentials to store for multiple uses, create a list of all devices you wish to back up, and run the program as a service (every hour a backup will occur of all devices in the list). Also, I've created a web interface that allows you to view all devices that have been backed up, view the most-recent configuration that's been backed up, and view all previous versions of that device's configuration (side-by-side, and with the Git diff of the two configs listed above).

This is a work-in-progress, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. I plan on adding SSH support in the future. This is similar to RANCID (which I haven't actually used before, but have heard good things), but is Windows-based (RANCID is not, which encouraged me to develop this). If you've used SolarWinds CatTools before, it's similar to that, although only HP ProCurve devices are supported at the moment (unless someone wants to donate some gear from other vendors... In reality, I'll probably just fire up a copy of GNS3 and test w/ Cisco from there).

Anyway, I hope you guys get some use out of this. It's written in Python and has a few dependencies, so please make sure you read the README file. Also, this is totally open-source, and I'm a sysadmin by trade, not a developer, so pull requests are encouraged.

Linky: https://github.com/agreenbhm/GhittoPCM

Drew Green - IT Manager - MCITP:EA 2008 & Messaging 2010, MCSE:S 2003, CCENT, Security+, A+, Net+, CSSA, (working on CISSP & MCSE 2012)