Aruba & ProVision-based
1752701 Members
6256 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

HP 2615-8-PoE + Avaya 1616 IP Phones + VLAN Voice = Help!

Fred1325
Occasional Contributor

HP 2615-8-PoE + Avaya 1616 IP Phones + VLAN Voice = Help!

Hello,

I'm a bit lost so I need a little help on this topic.

My customer has an Avaya G430 with a nice Extreme Switch.

Default VLAN 1 for Data & VLAN 20 VOICE.

I need to insert a little HP 2615-8-PoE switch in  an new openspace area to support phones + laptops.

Found this via Google, but I'm not sure how to implement this...  And I guess that I need to setup a tagged port on the Extreme switch to link to the 2615, right? For the rest, I guess I can simply create the VLAN 20 on the 2615 and setup some "ip helper-address" to point out the actual DHCP...

If someone has some experience to share upon this, I think that a whole community will appreciate as Google is a bit quiet when looking for "Avaya +HP switch" :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Frederic (European time) 

3 REPLIES 3
Cajuntank MS
Valued Contributor

Re: HP 2615-8-PoE + Avaya 1616 IP Phones + VLAN Voice = Help!

Correct, create your VLANs on the 2615 as the same VLAN ID tags that you have on your Extreme. Tag under that VLAN interface the port you are using to uplink to the Extreme and vice versa from the Extreme to the HP. If you are using the switchport on the phone to then connect to your computer, you will tag those ports on the switch that connect to your phone under the VLAN 20 in your situation and untag those same ports under VLAN 1 for date (assuming that you are using the default VLAN 1 for your data VLAN which is not recommended... best practice is to create another VLAN and not use VLAN 1 at all in my opinion). You should also issue the "voice" command under the VLAN 20 interface to turn on LLDP-MED which will take whatever QoS tagging information being handed out by the handset and propagate that on through the switch. If you will be traversing Layer 3 subnets, then Avaya also takes this a little further by wanting some additional tweaks on QoS to be done. Assigning a priority 6 to DSCP codepoint 101110, then assign the QoS value to the Avaya IP-PBX equipment.

So for example:
Procurve Switch(config)# qos type-of-service diff-services
ProCurve Switch(config)# qos dscp-map 101110 priority 6
Procurve Switch(config)# qos protocol ARP priority 4
ProCurve Switch(config)# qos device-priority 10.10.1.5 priority 6 (or whatver IP address your Avaya G430 is)

ProCurve Switch(config)# qos device-priority 10.10.1.6 priority 6 (maybe the IP address of your Avaya Session Manager...etc...)

Then you need to follow whatver best practices Extreme has for QoS and Avaya handsets and IP-PBX hardware. Of course, there is some info that will be issued out via DHCP to get phones to match up with the proper VLAN info... this might not be the case for 1600 series, but I know for 9600 series, this is the case.

Hope that helps.

Fred1325
Occasional Contributor

Hi Cajuntank,

Thanks for these tips and the complete description.

I'll give that a shot and keep you posted.

I'm just returning from holiday, sorry for the late reply.

thanks again,

Frederic

Fred1325
Occasional Contributor

btw: I agree with you on the VLAN 1 thing.  

this will be fixed when I got enough knowledge to manage the Extreme switch for which I don't actually have the time...   

Thanks for the suggestion, appreciated,

Frederic