4970 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP 2920 Stackable Firmware Update Failed

damo2015

HP 2920 Stackable Firmware Update Failed

Hello

I recently updated our HP 2920 Stackable Switches over last weekend,

But seems to not fully complete the rebooting process if I update them in a stack - things to be aware of

:- Im updating with 3 or 4 in a stack

:- the Firmware Update 15.16.0005 gets sent to them all the stack fine via iMC

:- the reboot command also gets sent fine.

Then after a little while - the main one reboots - great - but the remaining units still sits there pondering what to do.

After waiting for about an hour and still no life,

I have to force a manual reboot again directly on the stack - once this 2nd manual intervention reboot takes place, they are all rebooted fine and with the correct firmware.

Anyone else seen this:-

Ultimately, I would like to be able to update our switch stacks away remotely (via iMC) and have confidence that the whole process will have no 2nd manual interventions or even on site visits.

Any thoughts and ideas on why its not doing it the way I feel it should?

Thanks

Damian

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Rodrigo_Octavia
Occasional Advisor

Hi all,

I have a similar issue about firmware update, but I will upgrade next week. What are best practices to upgrade a lastest firmware on Switch HP 2029 24G with stacking enable:

1. Disable stack before update?

1.1 If yes, I can update only one and enable stacking after? Or need update one at time?

2.Update firmware with stacking enabled?

2.1 If any error occurs, I can make firmware downgrade?

2.2 After upgrade the master, the slave updgrade automatic?

Thanks in advanced

Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Hello.  You're correct.  The entire stack should be rebooted, not just the commander.  I just successfully upgraded a 2920 stack from WB.15.16 to WB.15.18 and all stack members rebooted with IMC 7.1. 

A "reboot" or "reload" (and the corresponding MIB) would cause only the commander to get rebooted.  A "boot system" would boot the entire stack.  Perhaps IMC set the wrong MIB to reboot the stack in your case, or the switch behavior for that MIB was wrong on the software you were running at the time.

What 2920 version were you on prior to the upgrade?  And what IMC version?

As for the second post:

1 - No, don't disable stacking to upgrade.

2.1 - Yes, you can boot back to another version.  Save the one you are currently running to secondary (copy flash flash secondary) before you upgrade and reboot the stack.

2.2 - Yes, uploading software to the commander will cause all members to have that software loaded as well.

Rodrigo_Octavia
Occasional Advisor

Fisrth, Thanks for answer.

My version: FMW: WB.15.13.0005, ROM WB.15.05. (possibly, fabric version). I see the lastest firmware release, and say that can upload: WB.15.13.0005 to WB.15.17.0008 (follow atached)

So, the steps for update:

1. Make a copy running-config or/and startup-config to a txt file.

2. Upload primary image (WB.15.13.0005) to a secondary image (now is WB.15.11.0003).

3. Reboot commander switch

4. Upload new firmware to primary image (the lastest: WB.15.17.0008)

5.Reboot commander switch.

This is it? hehe

More one question, do you updated using graphical interface?

Thanks again.

Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

1.   Correct, save the config.
  2.   Correct, save current software to secondary (copy flash flash secondary).
  3.   No, reboot not necessary.
  4.   Correct, upload the new software to primary.  Method doesn't matter, web is fine.
  5.   Reboot the stack (boot system flash primary).

Sure, you can use the web interface to upload (step 4). 

Rodrigo_Octavia
Occasional Advisor

I just upgrade and call back about this question.

Thanks Michael.