New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 5412 R redundancy

SOLVED
Go to solution
SantoshN
Occasional Advisor

HP 5412 R redundancy

Hi,

I have HP 5412  two number of switches and i want to configure redundancy for that.

i have j9987a (1Gig ports) 8 Modules in each switch &  j9986a (POE Ports) 1 module in each switch.

Could you please guide me what are the best options for configuring redundancy between the switches.

Regards,
Santosh

6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Do you mean achieving redundancy across two Aruba 5400R zl2 chassis?

If so a possible [*] way is deploying VSF (Virtual Switching Framework): VSF to be implemented requires very specific Hardware and Software requirements and restrictions (as example over all possible: to start with VSF 10Gbps or 40Gbps physical ports are required - so you need the right Module - in order to implement the essential VSF link between two units).

More about VSF can be found here in the HPE Community (Networking category) by looking for any thread speaking about "VSF", "5400R+VSF" or just "5400R redundancy".

There is a nice Aruba VSF Configuration Guide published here (with that one you will be able to familiarize with terminology and deployment guidelines, requirements and restrictions. Please note that that guide was incorrectly titled "Vertical Switching Framework" but it is very "Virtual Switching Framework") or as a dedicated Chapter on the Aruba 5400R zl2 Switch Series Management and Configuration Guide for K/KA/KB.16.03 (always look for the latest available edition to read updated documentation).

[*] clearly all depends on your idea of redundancy: are your hosts dual homed against both Aruba 5400R zl2 Switches? do you prefer to work with VRRP and STP instead of using VSF? what do you need really? are you worried about Chassis Redundancy (redundancy at chassis level, so not across two chassis but within the same chassis) and so want to use dual MMs (NonStop Switching or Warm Standby)? answering to those questions will help you define what you need.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
SantoshN
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

For VSF i dont have 10 gig ports.

I want to use both the switches for LAN purpose and need redundancy . So can i configure Vrrp between the switches.

SantoshN
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

1. I need chassis redundancy. (But i dont have 10 gig ports for VSF). What is the alternate solution.

2. I want to use both the switches ports for LAN each switch having around 200 ports. So for my lan i want all 400 Ports to use and  chasis redundancy.

3. I am also looking for configuring VRRP & MSTP . Will it work ..can you please guide me.

Regards,

Santosh

parnassus
Honored Contributor

SantoshN wrote: 1. I need chassis redundancy. (But i dont have 10 gig ports for VSF). What is the alternate solution.

No 10G ports? then VSF is definitely not an option.

SantoshN wrote: 2. I want to use both the switches ports for LAN each switch having around 200 ports. So for my lan i want all 400 Ports to use and  chasis redundancy.

Chassis Redundancy, as I wrote, means "redundancy at chassis level, so not across/between two differents chassis but exactly within the same chassis" and it requires each Chassis you're considering to be equipped with two Management Modules (MMs): with two MMs you can configure that particularly equipped Switch to work in either "NonStop Switching" or "Warm Standby" mode (that's totally independent from the other Chassis working mode).

The fact you will have 200 user ports to serve on each Switch and you write that "So for my lan i want all 400 Ports to use and  chasis redundancy" makes me think that you haven't described clearly what you want to achieve (considering that, probably, what you want isn't directly achieveable at all if you don't provide your network with consistent hardware and software configurations).

When VSF is not an option...if you want routing redundancy across two Switches (because your two Aruba 5400R zl2 act as a "core" for your entire network routing requirements) then use VRRP...but consider also that you need dual homed hosts to cover the failure of one entire Chassis of the pair you're using...this mean that each single Chassis should be capable to manage all 400 ports concurrently with the other one Chassis or, conversely, that each host of your network should be connected to both the Switches concurrently so each host has always a switching path to the routing "core" in case of a failure of one of the "core" members.

If you want switching redundancy across two Aruba 5400R zl2 you need necessarily to deploy VSF and grant your host to be dual homed too for the very same reason written above.

If you don't work with dual homed hosts (Servers and/or Clients) then both redudancies are fruitless...once one of the "core" members fails.

SantoshN wrote: 3. I am also looking for configuring VRRP & MSTP . Will it work ..can you please guide me.

There is official Aruba 5400R zl2 documentation (manuals) that cover both VRRP and MSTP features: have a look at it.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
SantoshN
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I understood your points.

1.I have dual MM in each switch.

2. I dont want user node redundancy . For servers i have multiple ports in can give redundancy. I need routing redundancy between switches.

Could yuu help me how can i use this Dual MM?

And routing redundancy.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Just use VRRP. It's very simple, easy to configure, works perfectly.

I once used VRRP to do a Core switch replacement without any outage by adding a 3rd core to the VRRP and then promoting it to master.

On 5412 #1, give it STP priority 0 and make it VRRP master in each VLAN.
On 5412 #2, give it STP priority 1 and make it VRRP backup in each VLAN.

The biggest deficiency you are facing is not the lack of routing redundancy (low risk) but the lack of 10Gb ports (high risk).

There is nothing easier or cheaper than putting in a couple of 8-port 10Gb SFP+ modules in each 5412. Inter-connect them with at least 2x 10Gb links, (one off each module) then make all your uplinks 10Gb.