1753868 Members
7402 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP USB console port driver for OSX?

Robin Bowes_1

HP USB console port driver for OSX?

Hi,

I want to connect to the USB console of a 2530-48G from my Macbook Pro (Mountain Lion).

The port is recognised when I connect it:

Product ID:0x013f

Vendor ID:0x03f0  (Hewlett Packard)

Version: 0.01

Serial Number:Cxxxxxxxxxx

Speed:Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer:HP

Location ID:0x14200000 / 1

Current Available (mA):500

Current Required (mA):100

Can anyone tell me if there are any USB console port drivers available for OSX?

Thanks,

R.

4 REPLIES 4

Here's what works for me:

Take a look at your /dev/tty* after connecting the USB cable to you HP switch's microUSB port.

# ls -la /dev/tty* -crt

-crt wil sort chronologically.  Note the last few entries that should align with when you connected the cable to your switch.

In my case, I saw "/dev/tty.usbmodem1411"

Using Putty or a terminal emulator on my Mac, I connected to the serial port /dev/tty.usbmodem1411.

WORKING!!

dmacduff
Occasional Visitor

Like ManhattanColleg said, one should get a new entry in /dev that should be named tty.usbmodem* once the USB cable is connected.

One should also be able to find the device with:

ls /dev/tty.usbmodem*

One can then use the native Unix screen command to connect:

screen /dev/tty.usbmodem* 9600

The * will be the shell-expand to the appropriate value assuming you have exactly one usbmodem attached to the computer; use the actual device name if needed. 9600 is the baud rate screen will use for the session. Vivek Gite has a nice article on Screen for Terminal Communication that outlines additional parameters.

miker2
Occasional Visitor

is this also possible with rj45 console instead of usb?

dmacduff
Occasional Visitor

Yes, it is also possible to use screen to access the RJ-45 console port, but it does require a USB to Serial adapter with appropriate drivers installed. You will also have to determine the /dev name as described by ManhattanColleg; it will most likely not be tty.usbmodem*.

Most of the USB to Serial adapters out there seem to be based on the Prolific PL2303 chipset, and the drivers from Prolific only support their USB VID and PID. The USB to Serial adapter from plugable.com maintains the Prolific VID/PID and can be used with the "official" drivers and uses /dev name tty.usbserial*.
Other USB to Serial adapters can be used via open-source drivers, though with the added complexity that entails.