4257 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Aruba 2920 stacking - question

julius_cmp
Occasional Contributor

HPE Aruba 2920 stacking - question

Hello,

I have to HP 2920 switches with stacking module intsalled. One is commander with priority 255, while the other says "Standby". Via the web console of the switch, under Status, i can see the "Standby" switch. I have come computers connected to the "Standby" switch and those are connected to the network.

All is working great!

My quesiton is, is this normal? If i only have 2 switches stacked, it will only show Commander and Standby? as most of the steps online when creating stacks, it has commander, standby and members.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Totally normal I would say.

Issue a show stacking command and report back.

Regarding the stacking terminology have a look at Aruba 2920 stacking technical whitepaper.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
KSHKND
Advisor

It is completely normal as youo have only 2 switches in stack. How stacking works is one switch will be commander, this is the physical switch that operates as the controller of the stack. The commander responds to management requests for the stack, commanderтАЩs IP address is used as the management address for the entire stack. It also runs all the routing and switching protocols for the entire stack. There is only one commander switch elected at any given time in the stack and the Standby provides redundancy for the stack and takes over stack management operations should the commander fail, or if a commander failover is forced by an administrator. On failure of the commander, the Standby will take control and become the commander for the stack. There is only one Standby chosen at any given time in the stack. Member is just a set of additional ports to the stack.

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Here you go: Aruba 2920 Switch Series Stacking Technical Whitepaper...Backplane stacking terminology, technology and members configuration fully and clearly disclosed.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner