Aruba & ProVision-based
1752812 Members
5759 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Have SSH sessions start at the "Manager Exec" prompt (Enable prompt)

jgs240
Occasional Contributor

Have SSH sessions start at the "Manager Exec" prompt (Enable prompt)

I received a new HP/Aruba 2920 (WB.15.15.0012) and deployed to a remote site.  I just figured out it is not getting backed up by our backup solution because when the backup solution logs into the switch it is expecting the "#" prompt and is instead getting the ">" prompt.  

I could configure a seperate group in the backup system and program it to work around this, but for uniformity and management sake, I would prefer to change the switch so that when I SSH into it the switch defaults to exec mode instead of operator mode.  

How do I do this?  

2 REPLIES 2
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: Have SSH sessions start at the "Manager Exec" prompt (Enable prompt)

Hello,

Are we talking about a login with a local account or is the "backup user" using RADIUS auth to access the switch?

I may be oversimplifying things but if we are talking about a local account can't you just change the name of the manager account on the switch so that the backup process logs in as that named account?

# password manager user-name <USERNAME>

This works for me and drops me at the correct "#" prompt.

The one stumbling block I've found is the uber-annoying "hit any key to continue" - I'd love to get rid of that - Kudos to anyone who has the magic cure.

Hope that gives you a clue. Let us know how you get on and what you find.

Thanks

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Re: Have SSH sessions start at the "Manager Exec" prompt (Enable prompt)

We are wandering a bit off topic, but we have several 2920 switches and I never get the "hit any key to continue" message after login. Perhaps because we have configured a banner message on the switches? 2520 on the other hand......

Back to the topic: if this is using Radius authentication, then you need to return two attributes from the Radius server to the switch for direct manager level access (we are using ClearPass for Radius):

Type                                                    Name                          Value
1.  Radius:Hewlett-Packard-Enterprise HPE-Privilege-Level   0
2.  Radius:IETF                                      Service-Type            Administrative-User (6)