3176 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: High collection or drop rate on switch 2910

moh24100
Advisor

High collection or drop rate on switch 2910

Hello all,

I have switch procurve 2910 -al , in some ports there is alert "High collection or drop rate "

how can solve this issue?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
parnassus
Honored Contributor

You probably mean "High collision or drop rate"...not collection.

Apart from that...it depends on what you have in your network (what changed?), which ports are/were involved (which devices are connected to those ports), how often (and when) that error is recurring, have you some new device (or software tool installed on network hosts) which is multicasting/broadcasting (like, as example, when you let a tool/device to discover your entire network/connected segment) flooding your network as never happened before (and so loading your Switch)...and so on.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
moh24100
Advisor

Thanks for reply ,

yes,meant collision.
I did not change any thing . i have pcs&printers&camera connected to this switch.

The high collision and drop rate is occurring on ports connected with pcs. one of this pcs make broadcst strom in whole network.

Almost ,high collision occurring in all switches in my networks , just with ports connected with computers.

How to avoid this issue.

Thanks

parnassus
Honored Contributor

moh24100 wrote: ...one of this pcs make broadcst strom in whole network.

Does that PC have an Intel based NIC maybe? I ask because there is a (well) known issue related to that.

Have you already diagnosed why that particular host is flooding (and when it started to flood) your network with high/heavy broadcast traffic that is (or should be) unexpected?

I'm not an HPE Employee
moh24100
Advisor

Hello 

thank you for replying ,
Really did not I check it, could you please help me to verify the cause of the collision,
To be honest I do not know how to start.

some one advise to enable stp on the network.

i have uploaded my network diagram to advise me accordingly.

Thanks

parnassus
Honored Contributor

It could be related to massive IPv6 multicast traffic generated by specific Intel based NIC types with non updated device driver, that impacts globally switch performances (read about this known issue here)...so a first thing you can do is try to isolate and verify the type and device driver status of each involved hosts (if those hosts prove to be sources of broadcast/multicast traffic in your network).

I'm not an HPE Employee
moh24100
Advisor

Thank you for advise, 

i will try this solution , and will feedback.

If the firmware in switches very old ,is causing this kind of problem.

Thanks

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Well, first thing is running updated Switch software...that's to avoid hitting already resolved known issues/bugs and to benefit of enhanced and/or new features. That's the basic maintenance step to care about.

I'm not an HPE Employee
moh24100
Advisor

Thanks parnassus for reply,

after  updated one switch to the last firmware so far i didn't see "high collision "  again in the logs for this switch.

If  enable spanning tree for current networks, it will protect the loop on the network

Another word, there is any benefit for enabling spanning tree for this network.

I have 15 switches all comnnected with coreswitch with single cable.

Thanks

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Well, generally speaking, using STP (or, better, RSTP) has its benefits...the important thing is to understand exactly the Network Topology (as example: an exact "star" with the "core" Switch placed at the center and all other "access" switches connected to it via single link downlinks...) and the type of Switches involved (so you can be sure how to configure and manage correctly the STP/RSTP).

I'm not an HPE Employee