1751893 Members
5472 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to create VLAN Trunks between Procurve Switches

Purtech2_1
Occasional Contributor

How to create VLAN Trunks between Procurve Switches

We want to create a separate VLAN for our WiFi guest network. It will servcied by a Time/Warner cable circuit completely separate from our work LAN.

Presently I have two VLANs operating between the four buildings we own. However, those VLANs are on completely separate ports and connections. We use Fiber between three of the buildings.

Would it be possible to create a separate VLAN, lets say 99, connect to my main switch the Cable router on that VLAN, then trunk VLAN 99 over fiber to the other buildings?

I would think using our VoIP VLAN would be best: 10. Can I pass VLAN's 10 and 99 over the fiber and configure a post at either end to handle VLAN 99.

All are Procurve switches. All are 48 port but models and OS versions may vary. But are all fairly current. Do you need that information?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Purtech2_1
Occasional Contributor

Post = Port. Typo.

ProCurve J9280A Switch 2510G-48 Switch that will feed all others. Has two VLANs, default and 10.

Two switches recieving new VLAN:

HP J9775A 2530-48G Switch and HP J9728A 2920-48G 

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Yes, patch  the external circuit to a port that is in a dedicated VLAN, then you can trunk that VLAN around your network and make it available wherever needed.

Just make sure...

1/ If you add the VLAN to any layer3 switch/router on your network, DO NOT give the VLAN interface any IP address.

2/ DO NOT use any untagged VLAN on any inter-switch link.

natishafuq74
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the tip, VInce!