Re: Hp ProCurve 2524 Web Interface

SOLVED
Go to solution
alexander034
Occasional Visitor

Hp ProCurve 2524 Web Interface

Hello

I have a question.
How can i login into the web interface on my own Hp2524 switch?
What is the default Ip to connecting.
I do connect to web interface via ethernet ports or only console port? 

6 REPLIES 6
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Howdy.

Try this document - an oldie but a goodie -

http://whp-aus2.cold.extweb.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59692353-e2.pdf

You'll certainly need an ethernet cable say between the first ethernet port on the switch and a port on your router. This may or may not need to be a cross-over type cable (search what this is and why you might need it if you are connecting 100Mb ethernet ports together) if you are not connecting Gigabit to gigabit. There is a feature on some of the switches of that era called Auto-MDIX (it used to be stencilled on the ports) which might auto-magically get you past that problem.

Also a serial cable (aka a null modem cable) might be useful if you are exploring networking as you can then connect to the console serial port (front panel - DB9 connector) from say a linux box with a serial terminal emulation app such as minicom on Linux or putty (in serial mode) on windows.

You may need to do a factory reset (press & hold front panel button) and then the switch should do a DHCP request for a dynamic IP address as it starts up. So you'll also need to look at your router's DHCP IP address lease table to see what IP address was given to the switch.

SNMP, when you get that far, is "open" by default with a public/public pair of community strings. Telnet (again with Putty software - google how to or watch a youtube video) should let you in without credentials by just doing enter/enter at the prompt.

Read the doc at the above link - all will become clear. Good luck!

Hope that helps (please give kudos if it does :-) )

Ta

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
alexander034
Occasional Visitor

Thank you, i will try it.
I also found a document.
http://whp-aus2.cold.extweb.hp.com/pub/networking/software/2500-MgmtConfig-Oct2005-59692354.pdf
I found an IP address but its not working.
Telnet?

Hp TopTools Device Manager where can i download?

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Howdy,

Please bear in mind that these docs date from 11 years ago and Top Tools and the software that superseded TT (Procurve Manager or PCM) have both been overtaken by the IMC Management software suite. To learn more take a look at "the imc management" YouTube channel - but that's for another day. :-)

Did you reset the switch or are you just working with the existing config?

If the web server is not working and you have an IP address grab a copy of Putty from here (assuming you are on Windows - it should work out of the box under linux). Get it installed, launch a telnet (connection type) session rather than the default SSH and point it at your switch IP address.

If all goes well and you are getting connectivity you should get a terminal session.

If you are working with the existing config you might have some passwords on the switch that you need to remove - the good news is that the "clear" button just deletes the passwords and keeps the rest of the config. "Reset" deletes the whole config making it like factory fresh.

As I remember - login with <enter> / <enter > if you've cleared the passwords.

Hope that helps - please give kudos if it does.

Ta

Ian

## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Edam!
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>HP TopTools Device Manager where can I download?

As Ian said, this product was long obsoleted and that forum was mistakenly moved to HP Inc. and since the posts were so old, they were deleted.  And obsolete severs:

http://community.hpe.com/t5/Netservers/bd-p/itrc-249

alexander034
Occasional Visitor

Its works :) Thank You!

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Cool,

Here's what I would do - feel free to pick and choose or completely ignore:

Create a handful of different VLANs. Get DHCP working for hosts needing dynamic addresses. Create a loop (say, plug a cable into 2 different ports ) and break your network. Configure spanning tree so it doesn't happen again. Create some layer 3 addresses and configure some static routes. Does a 2524 support a dynamic routing protocol like RIP?

Have a play with tagged and untagged ports and see how these relate to "access port" and "trunk port" in Cisco terminology.

Get NTP working so that your logs have the correct timestamp. Forward your syslogs to your log aggregator PC. Configure SNMP report any issues

Linux PC (or VM) or a Raspberry pi is a useful tool for network admins of all ages and experiences. Linus can also run Quagga routing stack and can do all kinds of automated tasks on the LAN.

Pick up a null modem cable and a USB-Serial adapter for a few $$ on ebay so that you can plug in and do the initial config tasks.

Two switches are always better than one - with 2 switches you can do aggregated physical links and "multi-vlan" trunk links - even better if it a differnet Hp switch (comware?) or a different vendor entirely so that you learn inter-operability.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Ian

Edam!