1753642 Members
5118 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Multiple subnet problems

Jtoney
Occasional Contributor

Multiple subnet problems!!

I need to enable a couple of computer to access a storage server on a different subnet.  All machines located on the same switch just different VLANs.  Right now I can ping and remote desktop to that storages server, but I can't access the shared folder. 

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Switches, Hubs, Modems (Legacy ITRC forum) to ProCurve / ProVision-Based. - Hp Forum moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

You'll need to provide a lot more info.

What type of switch do you have?

What OS version is running on the computers and your storage server?

If you can RDP to the server, it seems there is connectivity and your problem is more like an OS permission problem or possibly DNS or LDAP?

Jtoney
Occasional Contributor

I have a Procurve 3500yl.  Everything is running Windows 7 and the shared folders are setup properly.  Like I said, if I just hook everything up to an unmanaged switch, something I could purchase at Best Buy or whatever, then I can access all the machines no problem.

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

The difference between the unmanaged switch and the 3500 appears to be the fact you have tried unsuccessfully to configure VLANs on it.

If you want to learn how to configure VLANs, somebody here could help you if you describe your problem properly - provide your switch config along with relevant details of the hosts involved. Some sort of description of what problem you are trying to solve through the use of VLANs might also help.

Jtoney
Occasional Contributor

Ouch, that was a litle harsh don't you think?  Nevermind the assistance, I would rather not ask it of someone who goes to user error as his first answer.

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

You're right - I'm sure it's the 3500yl that has made the mistake.