5702 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Policy Based Routing

flic
Occasional Contributor

Policy Based Routing

Hi,

I am wondering, if anyone has tried to do PBR on the new K.15.06 software.

If yes, do you have any experience in regards to stability ?

9 REPLIES 9
Ulrich Saur
Advisor

Hi,

did only a short test in lab situation. It is very important to know that only v2 modules support PBR! ;-)

Cheers,

Uli

Regards,
Uli
flic
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ulrich,

Thank you for answering my post.

Indeed, ver. 2 modules is a requirement for PBR.

Do you still have your test setup running and have you seen any stability issues.

Ulrich Saur
Advisor

Unfortunately it was a really short test without heavy load, so I do not dare to say if it's stable...

Regards,
Uli
flic
Occasional Contributor

Hi Uli,

No worries, I will do a setup for a customer i few weeks, but I will test it in my lab before I do the implementation.

I will keep this post updated with my experiences...

Regards

flic

Ulrich Saur
Advisor

This would be great, looking forward to that!

Cheers,

Uli

Regards,
Uli
n3tm1n
Valued Contributor

What is the reasoning behind PBR only working or V.2 modules for the 54xx/82xx switches? Does that mean that in order to use PBR, you need to replace all the v1 modules with V.2 or just a certain one? Does PBR work on the 6600/3500 switches?

-Bob

Ulrich Saur
Advisor

Hi Bob,

PBR should be done in hardware so I think HP decided to do this only on the more efficient new modules. I did not find any hint that this only working on zl switches so give it a try on the 3500s and 6600s.

I also did not see anything about having to use only v2 modules but I would recommend this because you cannot predict traffic flow on the different modules.

Cheers,

Uli

Regards,
Uli
loayabdelrazek
Occasional Visitor

Dears,

i am facing the same problem as i want to redirect traffic to a WAN optimizer but am using a 8212zl with v1 modules, what si the alternative for PBR ?? route policy?? but if used how is it applied on interfaces or vlans??

Peter_Debruyne
Honored Contributor

no pbr on v1 modules (which also means 3500), chassis needs to be full v2 (or 3800) for pbr,

best regards,Peter.