8349 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ProCurve 2620-24, no PXE boot after sw15.14.0009

R_Eriksen
Occasional Collector

ProCurve 2620-24, no PXE boot after sw15.14.0009

Hi Community

Firstly, I hope this is the right forum location, if not please point to a more appropriate, and I'll move to that :)

We have a bunch of older J9623A switches, that we would like to update to the latest software version.

However, as soon as we updated to 16.01.0006 we were unable to PXE boot from our SCCM server across subnets.

By trial and error we have determined that the problem start as soon as we get past 15.14.0009.

Our two DHCP servers (one active, one standby), and the SCCM server are all on different boxes but same subnet.

The DHCP options 66 and 67 have both been set on the relevant scopes.

The clients are mostly on different subnets and VLANs. A few are on the same subnet as the servers.

There are no firewalls/ACLs between the clients or the servers.

When trying to PXE boot a client we get the following messages:

Downloaded WDSNBP from SCCM_IP_ADDRESS

WDSNBP started using DHCP Referral.

Contacting Server:  SCCM_IP (Gateway:  SUBNET_GW_IP)..

No response from Windows Deployment Services server.

Launching pxeboot.com...

Press F12 for network service boot

[We hit F12, and get a Windows 8 BSOD:
Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be rapaired.
The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.

File:\boot\bcd
Error Code: 0xc000000f]

We have tried disabling STP and DHCP snooping as well as adding the SCCM server as ip helper-address (mostly because other forum posts suggested this, though I can't really see how that would make any difference when the SCCM server doesn't respond to DHCP requests?),
but so far we can only get it working with sw version 15.14.0009 and below, with STP and DHCP snooping enabled, and just the two DHCP servers as ip helpers.

If the SCCM server and client are in the same VLAN/subnet there are no problems PXE booting regardless of switch software version.

Nothing in the release notes for 15.14.0010 points us to a reason for this. But maybe someone with some more Procurve expertise can see something we cant?

Best regards

Robert Eriksen

1 REPLY 1
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: ProCurve 2620-24, no PXE boot after sw15.14.0009

I have a dim memory of encountering this issue about 6 years ago - I may be wrong, but I think enabling multicast routing was how I fixed it.