5076 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

ProCurve 2910-al - LACP config for max speed

roman_sputnik
Occasional Contributor

ProCurve 2910-al - LACP config for max speed

Hi all

I'm trying to configure Link Aggregation (LACP) on the ProCurve 2910-al switch to increase file read/write speeds via the network and was looking for some advice on configuring this. 

The workstations are a mixture of Mac Pros and high-end PC with Dual NIC. Each connected to the switch with two cat5e cables. The server is connected to the switch via a 10Gbe backplane and this connection is fast indeed. 

I have enabled LACP on the switch and configured the computers so that hey have a single IP, etc. however the speed did not increase at all, i.e. it's almost the same as with single port connected to 1Gbe port. ~80MBps read/~60MBps write.

I'm getting confused with Trunk Types and Groups, LACP Status and Flow Control settings. The manual is somewhat confusing and I can't figure out best options for these specific requirements.

Possible options are: 

* Mode: currently Auto (10HDx, 100HDx, 10FDx, 100FDx, Auto, Auto-10, Auto-100, Auto-1000, Auto-10-100)

* Flow Control: currently Enable (Enable, Disable)

* LACP Status: currently Active (Disabled, Active, Passive)

* Trunk Type: currently None (None, Trunk, LACP)

* Trunk Group: currently None (None, Trk1-Trk60)

* Broadcast Limit (0-99): currently 0.

Has anyone had any luck increasing the network speeds by tweaking the LACP? If so, I'd highly appreciate your advice or feedback! 

1 REPLY 1
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: ProCurve 2910-al - LACP config for max speed

You config is probably fine, but remember how hashing over link-aggregation works. One flow won't utilize both links, but only one of them at the time. You must use multiple sessions to utilize the aggregation fully.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S