Aruba & ProVision-based
1752803 Members
5452 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Procurve 5308xl can not upload new flash image to primary or secondary flash memory

SOLVED
Go to solution
Xterminat

Procurve 5308xl can not upload new flash image to primary or secondary flash memory

Good Afternoon,

I was just wondering I am trying to update the Boot ROM in my Procurve 5308xl switch and when I try to console to the switch there is no image in the primary or secondary flash rom. I have managed to send the image to the switch via XMODEM but that doesn't seem to be so successful as it can't write to the actual switch. I have tried everything that I know.

It says

Bad Flash Image

Just wondering if someone has had a simular problem and can give me a bit of guidance to repair it. It seems to have defaulted to a built in rom E_05.05.swi

Very little options

do(wnload)

boot

quit

etc

Cheers

Mark

7 REPLIES 7
Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Re: Procurve 5308xl can not upload new flash image to primary or secondary flash memory

Hello.  That's strange.  You shouldn't have to mess with the boot rom at all, regular product code should handle rom updates for you.  What software did you try and load via xmodem?  You might try E.07.40 from the website, it should do a rom update for you. 

Sounds like you've already tried an xmodem download, but perhaps the version of software you tried to download was too new (or large) for the rom you are currently running.  From rom:

=> sp 115200 (optional, also change your terminal baud and reconnect)

=> do   (send E.07.40 via xmodem)

=> jp 1

Then you from there load E.10.74, which should do another rom upate. 

Code for 5300:

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/Downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=J4819A&lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=5354494

Xterminat

Hi there,

Thanks for the information. I tried oh how I have tried I reckon probably about 20 times to upload different versions of the E_07_40.swi file even thinking that I am doing something wrong.

I am just wondering if you can help me any further. There seems to be a CRC error in the file that I have downloaded directly from HP I have tried several times to download it. Really hoping that this switch can be fixed.

Cheers and Thanks

Mark

Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Weird, I saw the CRC error also with E.07.40 and E.11.43.  Not sure what the problem is there, I might have to check with the build folks.

I was able to download E.10.74.  It was built around the time the ROM was.  Give that a try.

I should have asked originally, but do you have something in secondary flash already?  You might be able to boot to that ( => jp 2 ).

Xterminat

G'day Michael,

There seems to be nothing in either one of these of the JP1 or JP2 :( I was hoping that I could boot from JP2.

Yeah I am hoping that there is another version of the SWI file that I can download from somewhere else because without a uncorrupt version I am a little bit stuffed :)

Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers bud

Mark

Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Yeah, try E.10..74.  Same link as above under "other". 

Xterminat

Thanks mate I will give that a try today.

Cheers

Mark
Xterminat
Solution

Thank you very much for your help,

I finally got it today. Installed E_10_40 I think the version was. Went sweetly. In the long run it seemed to be that the Baud Rate was too slow. But I had a heck of a time trying to get it to connect at more than 9600 Baud.

I managed to get it to connect at 115200 and it went through in a little over 15 minutes imaged and rebooted. I am very happy now. I even gave out a LOUD WoooooooHooooooooo. WIN!

Thanks again Michael for your help. Most appreciated. You'll see the picture attached. :)