108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Procurve J8164A poe

Sreejish
Visitor

Procurve J8164A poe

2626 J8164A command for poe pre-std-detect

Hi

I have J8164A (2626) deployed and is not powering up my 7912 cisco phones but wokring with latest models. I have found the command

power-over-ethernet pre-std-detect  as a solution.

Now i have replaced the switch by J8692A 3500yl and able to configure the above command and phones are taking power. Please anyone help me out on why the same command is not available on 2626. Running H.10.38.

Sreejish

5 REPLIES 5
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Why not treat the 2626PWR to a latest and greatest freely available software image from the software site and see if that adds the functionality. It certainly won't do it any harm to uplift by 8+ years to H.10.119

Please read the release notes to see if you have to upgrade via an interim version of if you can do it in one hit.

Please remember that the 3500yl series is a fully featured L3 routing switch with all kinds of bells and whistles and was probably double the price of the 2626 when it was new.

Let us know how you get on - the "thumbs up" for kudos and "solved" buttons help others find helpful posts.

Thanks

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Sreejish
Visitor

Updated to H_10_119. Still no luck.

This command is not at all showing up. The only option with command power is threshold.

Most of my Phones are very old and still its not powering up.  Checked with Cisco 7811. Its powering up.

Thanks

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Upon further reading it would seem that the poe pre-standard detect was once only in the switch models using a true "provision" chipset (3500/3800/5400/8200 etc). It may by now be in other models further down in the range but maybe not in one of your switches vintage. 

If that command doesn't feature in your switch - i.e. a software driven way of accepting power on the *wrong* pin combination / polarity in the RJ-45 port, you may be able to utilise a cross-over patch cable and auto-mdix between the old phone and the switch to get the phone to power up properly. 

Other people have used this as a work-around for the non-standard PoE on these phones. I haven't tried it. It may or may not work with your specific combination of devices / your mileage may vary etc. I would do some further googling / reading (search terms: "hp switch cisco prestandard-poe crossover" - lots to read here ) and if you are confident that it could work for you, then and only then give it a whirl. 

Otherwise maybe it is time to retire the non-standard phones and give users a softclient instead. 

Thanks

Ian

## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Edam!
Sreejish
Visitor

Hi Ian,

Didnt try this out yet. Will see it later. One interesting thing noticed as follows.

I have tried till 7940 that also not taking up. Being connected one 7940  to the port, introduced one 7811 on another port brings both up. But this is not happening always. anyway will chek further with a cross and see what happens.

Only a couple of switches are left over in this series in  production. Will go for an upgrade sooner than later.

Thanks for the update

Cheers

Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Cool,

If you manage to get the phone and switch combo up and working with a cross-over could you please do a quick bullet point write-up.

Known working - Switch X and Phone Y - needed cross-over patch cable.

Something like that and we can add some tags to this thread - "seen-working" or something like that when someone else has the same problem and comes looking for an answer. 

Many thanks

Ian

Edam!