5842 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Procurve radio ports stop working after updating switch firmware

Mikko1
Occasional Contributor

Procurve radio ports stop working after updating switch firmware

Hi,

I have a 5406zl switch with a wireless edge services module (J9051A). When I updated the switch firmware  from K14.64 to K15.16.0008, my WLAN went down. I also updated the wireless service module but still nothing. I have two radio ports: HP procurve 210 and 230. All the VLAN settings in 5406zl are correct.

Errors:

- The red light in the radio box is blinking (manual: The radio port has encountered an error that prevents the IEEE
802.11b/g radio from operating normally.)

- At the wireless edge services GUI when I go to Device Information > Wireless stations, no stations are listed. Though all radios are part of one wlan and are adopted properly.

- SSID is being transmitted but i'm unable to join

Steps taken:

- Booted the radio ports

- Updated module firmware

- Re- adopted all the radios

Thank you for your assistance in advance!

1 REPLY 1
Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

Re: Procurve radio ports stop working after updating switch firmware

The WESM wireless solution is pretty old. You may want to verify that it is even supported past FW version K.14. I don't think WESM has been sold since at least K.13, maybe even K.12.

A refresh sounds like it is in order, and with a small number of radio ports, you may want to consider the Instant APs that are available on the HP Pricelist as part of the Aruba acquisition. They don't require a controller (each AP can act as a Virtual Controller), and don't require and ongoing access contract (although you can add the Central cloud management as a subscription service if you choose). An IAP-205/215/225 will upgrade you 802.11ac!