1748269 Members
3675 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Replace Management Module in ProCurve Switch 8212zl

IOI-655321
Occasional Advisor

Replace Management Module in ProCurve Switch 8212zl

Hi, I have a ProCurve Switch 8212zl Model: J9091A, that has blown a standby management module.

I have a replacement part and have found the instructions to follow here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01840909

Can someone please advise me if after I replace the unit the config / software image will be synced and available to the new mgmt module?  Is there any steps to take to ensure the new module is configured and available?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Replace Management Module in ProCurve Switch 8212zl

Can you share (sanitized/redacted) outputs of these commands:

show redudancy
show flash
show version

to correctly understand your current redudancy configuration/status?

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
IOI-655321
Occasional Advisor

# show redundancy

Configured Mode: Warm Standby
Current Mode : Warm Standby

Rapid Switchover Stale Timer : 90
Failovers : 0
Last Failover :

Slot Module Description State SW Version Boot Image
---- ---------------------------------------- -------- ------------- ----------
MM1 HP J9092A Management Module 8200zl Active K.15.18.0013 Primary
MM2 Failed

FM1 HP J9093A Fabric Module 8200zl Enabled
FM2 HP J9093A Fabric Module 8200zl Enabled

# show flash
Image Size (bytes) Date Version
----------------- ------------ -------- --------------
Primary Image : 14521796 09/01/16 K.15.18.0013
Secondary Image : 14521796 09/01/16 K.15.18.0013

Boot ROM Version
----------------
Primary Boot ROM Version : K.15.30

Default Boot Image : Primary

# show version
Management Module 1: Active
Image stamp: /ws/swbuildm/rel_quebec_qaoff/code/build/btm(swbuildm_rel_quebec_qaoff_rel_quebec)
Sep 1 2016 19:21:53
K.15.18.0013
Boot Image: Primary

Boot ROM Version: K.15.30

Management Module 2: Failed
Image stamp and Boot image not available

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi, since the redudancy configured/current modes both report "Warm Standby" redundancy mode (and not the other "NonStop Switching" redundancy mode) it means that your Standby MM (which is/was the failed MM2) should have booted up to a certain point, synced basic files (like config and security) and only then it should have finished the booting process only in case the actual Active MM - which was/is the MM1 - module failed (that's the case when the Standby MM is clearly correctly working and it doesn't receive hearbeat from the Active MM) or only if you performed a manual switchover.

That's to say that once you insert the replacement MM by hotswapping it into MM2 slot no switchover (from Active MM/MM1 to Standby MM/MM2) will happen at least since the actual Active MM/MM1 is correctly working or at least since you issue a redundancy switchover command (or do MM Reset/Shutdown on Active MM, as example).

Based on that what will happen once you hotswap the new MM into MM2?

When you hotswap the MM2 while there is an Active MM (your MM1) already booted up, the newly hotswapped MM (the new MM2) becomes the Standby MM as expected.

No negotiations are needed as to which module becomes the Active MM because (and until) there is already a functioning Active MM...however some conditions must be met to determine if the newly hotswapped MM can become a Standby MM:

• The hotswapped MM clearly must pass its boot selftest.
  • The management module redundancy is not administratively disabled (issuing a no redundancy management-module command, if the Active MM's config file has redundancy administratively disabled then the newly hotswapped MM goes into "Offline" mode).

In "Warm Standby" redundancy mode, as opposed to "NonStop Switching" redundancy mode, the Standby MM will only partially boot as described above and heartbeats start to be exchanged with the Active MM.

Considering that your Active MM has primary and secondary flash images already both equal to K.15.18.0013, eventually software mismatch can happen if the newly hotswapped MM has different software image versions preloaded (the difference is always between primay/secondary software images on the new MM2 you're hotswapping - as future Standby MM - and those used on the actual Active MM / MM1 used by your switch to boot from), the switch should manage that software mismatch automatically as described here (see the "Software version mismatch between active and hotswapped module" paragraph).

I'm not an HPE Employee
IOI-655321
Occasional Advisor

Hi parnassus,

Thanks vey much that makes sense, and good to know more about the 'Warm Standby' vesus 'NonStop' modes

I intend to remove the Compact Flash card from the failed module and insert it into the replacement, then swap out the modules. Hopefully that will keep the software versions the same.

So long as there is no impact, i.e. the switch rebooting or similar it should be a zero downtime change?

Thnaks again

parnassus
Honored Contributor

@IOI-655321 wrote:

Hi parnassus,

Thanks vey much that makes sense, and good to know more about the 'Warm Standby' vesus 'NonStop' modes

I intend to remove the Compact Flash card from the failed module and insert it into the replacement, then swap out the modules. Hopefully that will keep the software versions the same.

So long as there is no impact, i.e. the switch rebooting or similar it should be a zero downtime change?

Thnaks again

Exchanging the Compact Flash could be a way to avoid software versions mismatches between what there is on the Active MM/MM1 and the next Standby MM/MM2...clearly if the existing CF status is OK.

In any case I'm pretty confident that will be Zero Downtime.

I'm not an HPE Employee
IOI-655321
Occasional Advisor

So I replaced the module today and in case anyone comes accross this and wants to know what to expect I can confirm that there was no impact when replacing the failed module. I swapped out the Compact Flash memory card and everything worked

I tested redundancy at the same time:

#redundancy switchover

and as expected this casued an outage of 1 -2 minutes.

Cheers