4282 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Smartlink backup connection with different speed/tipe port

AlbZ78
Frequent Visitor

Smartlink backup connection with different speed/tipe port

Hi, 

mi name is Alberto, I have a question, I have search in the forum and in the manual but not have found response, if I want use two fibre line for backup the connection of a switch (2930F or 2930M or 5400R or 2530) it's possible to use smart link function if I want use two different tipe of port? (example: 10Gb SR transceiver for master link and 1Gb transceiver for backup link)
For the Trunk ok it's indicate that's not possible but in configuration guide of smartlink it's non specificated

Thanks for the attention

Bye

Alberto

4 REPLIES 4
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Re: Smartlink backup connection with different speed/tipe port

Hello Alberto, it's not clear which peers (Switches) are you trying to connect concurrently with two fiber optic lines (10G and 1G)...

Suppose you are uplinking two Switches and suppose both have STP/RSTP enabled and properly configured (let me say one is the STP root and the other is not), the preferred link kept active (the other is deactivated to prevent a loop) is the one with lower path cost, the higher the speed (10G > 1G) the lower the path cost...so in Switch-to-Switch scenario with 10G+1G links used concurrently as uplinks between both Switches the 10G link will win, the 1G link will lose...the 1G will became active only if the 10G link goes down. Clearly that's not SmartLink...just STP in action. 

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
AlbZ78
Frequent Visitor

Hello Parnassus,

thank for your time, in the question I have indicate most switch because I want applicate the same solution for all the switch of the network of my client (the switch selected for buy is 5406/12, 2930M,  2930F and 2530, the last not have 10Gb but is possible to 1Gb e 100Mb...) usually I don't use STP (it's deactivate in my switch) because have negative impact for the performance of network, I have asked the question of "smart link" because I have read that is solution with most speedly switch of link in case of loose connection and is particularly indicated for not have reduction of performance for the network

Do you know?

Tanks

Alberto

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Yes SmartLink would be a solution...but you have said nothing about the topology you will deal wit, just a Switches list not the topology with which those Switches will be deployed...that's because I wrote about a possible scenario (Switch to Switch with STP).

AGAIK (R|M)STP should not cause any performance degradation on any stable and properly configured network topology.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
AlbZ78
Frequent Visitor

Hello Parnassus,

thank for the indication, the system of my client is a standard star, in this time have need to upgrade the system and backup the fibre optical line of certain cabinet, centrally I want change the switch with one 5406R or 5412R with 8 SFP+ card and 24 port SFP card and other card, the remote have a lot of rack cabinets, in certain have duble optical fibers (with different route), in certain case 1Gb in other have need to use 10Gb, the switch I have selected is 2930M, 2930F and 2530, if I connect the switch with the star center with 2 line with 10Gb connection (or 1Gb) I have possible to use trunk (L4 with load balancing) and I have 2 line in load balancing (for switch older or lower it's also possible to use normal trunk) ok but not all line have possible to support 10Gb for standard and backup connection and for the backup 1Gb it's ok, for me the smart link solution it's Interesting because it's a fast solution and efficenty but not have find literature on the subject, the indication that I found in the HP manual not have specifically indicated if the two link is need to the same speed, from here my request (in the trunk it's indicate that port it's need the same speed)

In the next days I receive three new switch and I study better this solution

Tanks

Alberto

PS
I have need to study better the STP in the new switch for the future