1752565 Members
5422 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Software Installation

nookie211
Advisor

Software Installation

I currently have two ProCurve Switch 5412zl (J8698A). The software on the two switches is very old. (K.12.57, ROM K.12.12). I understand I need to upgrade to K.12.31 through K.13.55 to get to K.15.12.0012. These are production switches and we do not have any backup switches to rely on if something goes awry. I know with Cisco switches the firmware updates are very seemless and work 99.99% of the time. I have not done firmware updates with HP switches and want to know if there is anything I should look out for? I have done all the backup needed. I would assume it is better to be physically connected that doing an update via the webapp. All the configs have been backed up also. If anyone can give me any experiences with firmware updates with HP that would be great.

2 REPLIES 2
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Re: Software Installation

Because there are some configuration differences between firmware versions, you have to be prepared for the changes. As you are upgrading through a large number of firmware upgrades, you will need to read a lot of release notes.

On the whole, I have never had much problem upgrading Procurve firmware, but then I generally upgrade them reasonably frequently. I used to read every release note when it was issued to check what was fixed and what was added, and I tended to get an upgrade in at least once a year, sometimes more often.

nookie211
Advisor

Re: Software Installation

Thanks Vince. I am afraid that the switch has not been upgraded in so long I am a little hesitant to do it. I will read the fixes