1748150 Members
3542 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Switch 5400zl: Data contention between 1Gb and 10Gb port

Olivier RIEBEN
Occasional Advisor

Switch 5400zl: Data contention between 1Gb and 10Gb port

I have an HP switch 5406zl with a 4x 10Gb/s ports module. I have 3 servers with HP recommended 10Gb NIC and an HP SAN P2000 G3 on the 10Gb/s port as a separate VLAN: it'sPerfectly Working.

But, if I try to access data on the SAN from a server on a 1 Gb/s port, I could observe in switch statisticsthat great amount of TX trame are lost. I suppose that this is not an optimum case because many frame are then

to be repeated.

Who can explain me ? Is the switch not able to buffer frames that has to be forwarded from 10Gb/s to 1Gb/s ?

Hulot
2 REPLIES 2
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor

do you have flow control enabled end to end? If you sent traffic from 10Gb to a 1 Gb port buffers can be flooded easily if no mechanism stops the traffic. If you also run non-iSCSI traffic on the same link can cause issues as well.

Olivier RIEBEN
Occasional Advisor

No, flow control is not activated.

What is the correct configuration  ? I need, and it's sufficient, to enable flow control on all 10Gb/s port of the 5406zl switch ?

BTW I have not found this configuration feature in the P2000 G3 itself  (in the web GUI at least). Is this also necessary ? If yes, where/how this has to be configured.

Hulot