1748026 Members
3649 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Using LACP for 3 lines between 5412zl and 3500yl switches

parnassus
Honored Contributor

It will be enough (active/passive)...IMHO configuring LACP active on both (active/active) wouldn't hurt (it should be good too).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Vince-Whirlwind wrote: Why not get rid of LACP and just configure these as "trunk"? LACP is pointless - if the link isn't up, then the "trunk" at the other end won't try to use it.

Mumble mumble... @Vince-Whirlwind you made me think...if your question was asked just to simplify the troubleshooting procedure (I understood that you meant trying each single port L6, L7 and L8 - set of Type Trunk - instead trying a group of ports Trk117)...why not?

Why not avoiding to start with a Port Trunking (LACP) and instead just start with a single port-to-port trunk?

But...if the cabling is OK, the physical ports (SFP Transceivers) are OK...and only entire Port Trunking configuration is really under focus...why not to expect that also a *well configured* Port Trunking with LACP (Dynamic) is able to be "up and running" correctly as fast as a single port-to-port trunk made using a pair of those interfaces?

For sure testing a port-to-port trunk (Port L6 of 5412zl against Port 22 of 3500yl, as example, or any other rational combination that involves ports L6, L7, L8 on one end and 22, 23, 24 on other end) will help to isolate and characterize the issue...but OP seems (Have I misunderstood that?) to have said that these tests yet passed successfully.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Yes, if something isn't working, reduce your config to the bare minimum and add to it after you get it working with the basics.

What I would be suspecting in the first instance and methodically ruling out would be a bad patch lead or bad structured cable.

James81
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts on things.  I haven't had a chance to test anything yet but I'll hopefully get to it this week.

Re: LACP vs Trunk - the reason I was looking to do LACP is because that is what was there already... but I'm happy to try a straight trunk and see how that works.  

Once I actually get to it, I'll update as to how things went.

splatm1
Visitor

Are you running UDLD, check the command "show link-keepalive"?

What are the logs showing for those ports over time?

Upgrade to latest stable OS, as there may be issues with modern modules in the 5400zl in old images, specifically with operating all ports at the same time.