5633 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VLAN Planning on 3 HP ProCurve 2510G-48

Kevin Crookes
Occasional Contributor

VLAN Planning on 3 HP ProCurve 2510G-48

Hi All,

We are in the process of purchasing 3 HP ProCurve 2510G-48 Switches. These will be connected via GBIC's in a hub and spoke configuration.

Switch1 - Being the hub and having all 8 servers connected to it along with Printers and our WatchGuard firewall and the other two switches. All 8 servers are HP Proliant servers with dual nics in them which I'd like to team and configure as needed.

Switch2 and 3 will have PC's, laptops, XDAs connected.

Above is how the hardware is going to be connected.

Here comes the tricky stuff, actually programming the HP Switches to do the above with Server NIC Teaming, and VLAN's.

Server NIC Teaming I know how to configure on the servers but I haven't got a clue how to do it on the HP switches. So any information/guides would be of great help.

VLAN's. My personal thought is that we now have got to a point where we need VLANS because of the size. The only problem with this is I don't know where to start. Our building consists of two floors and all users need access to the same resources as everyone else. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
paulgear
Esteemed Contributor

Re: VLAN Planning on 3 HP ProCurve 2510G-48

The documentation for HP switches is quite comprehensive and easy to follow, so you should find setting up link aggregation (called trunks in ProVision) quite easy.

The thing about VLANs in your setup is that you'll need something to route between them.  As far as i'm aware, the 2510 series do not have any routing capabilities, not even static routing like the 2800s.  So you would need to configure one of your servers or your firewall as the router between VLANs, or buy a more capable routing switch. (I just picked up an older 3400 which has full L3 routing for $500 on eBay.)

If it's just 3 switches, i would probably try it without separating into VLANs first.  Keep an eye on your switch port statistics via SNMP, and separate into VLANs later if you find that broadcast traffic is a problem.

Regards,
Paul
MemX_Admin

Re: VLAN Planning on 3 HP ProCurve 2510G-48

FYI

There's a verified stability issue with E2510G-24 and E2510G-48 and software Y.11.16

(Last sentence of Issue #1 resolution)

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02541046

We've had the same problem, as soon as you'd access the http interface, the switch would fault and reboot.  I was able to obtain Y.11.31 and Y.11.23 from HP Support and will be trying it tomorrow morning to see if it resolves the problem.