1745865 Members
4337 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VLAN between switches

Bormar81
Occasional Contributor

VLAN between switches

Hi, I have 6 hp procurve J9299A I need to do two vlan, I did some tests and switch between the two vlan works but I do not have clear concepts like the difference between the doors tagged and untagged what runs the pvid, infuisce on funzioamento the vLAN? between the two switches in which the work I've done a VLAN trunk port for the gateway of VLAN 2 and a trunk port for the two switch ports that must communicate with each other, the question that springs to is the following, among others switch which are connected between them is necessary to make a trunk port for each link between switches?
I searched the net but could not find any clear guidance on how to create VLAN.
Thank you
Marco

8 REPLIES 8
BrackeKommun
Occasional Advisor

Re: VLAN between switches

What I can read out; its not easy with text ran through google translate.

what's PVID on my port? always the untagged vlan, if you dont have a untagged vlan the switch default to the default vlan, which you can change.

HP, has a diffrent interpretation of the word trunk than cisco, at least on procurve. you can do trunking between switches but you dont need too. You can make use of hybrid-port between procurve-switches.

on your uplink-port you can use untagged on your managment-vlan, tag all the rest on all switches. Just make sure that both switches on the shared link has same tagged vlan, if one is missing it: well that vlan wont work.... if you have ACL on that port make premit rules for it.

BrackeKommun
Occasional Advisor

Bormar81
Occasional Contributor

The situation is the following:
A switch

1 trunk port connected to the firewall (192.168.0.1) (2 Untagged Tagged 1 PVID 2)
doors from 2 to 23 VLAN 2 (2 Untagged Tagged 1 PVID 2)
24 trunk port connected to switch B (2 Untagged Tagged 1 PVID 2)

B switch

Porta 24 trunks connected to the switch A (2 Untagged Tagged 1 PVID 2)
23 2 port VLAN (untagged 2 Tagged 1 PVID 2)
With this configuration the vlan work, I have to connect to the switch B 4 other switches which in turn should make the vlan I doubt that arises is the following, the doors that connect the various switches must be trunk? Or you just the trunk port existing between the switch and and switch B?

BrackeKommun
Occasional Advisor

Can you show me your a snippet of vlan config on your switch A, B and C? and a show trunk and show vlan ports 23-24 de.

Must the uplink's be TRUNK? - No, but you can't mix it with hybrid. choose one of them and stick with it.

Is trunking extra work? - In my opinon, Yes. Im just using it when I need LAG.

If you choose to trunk the ports, be sure to use same trunk standard on the ports you connect.

Bormar81
Occasional Contributor

It works ! With the port hybrid vlan beetwen hp 1920, the problem I have a 1820 and they have not found the port setting hybrid but only trunk ports must I do to force a trunk or not I find where to set the door in this hybrid switch ?

I still do not understand the difference between the doors tagged and untagged , I wanted to know the difference .

Thanks 

Marco

BrackeKommun
Occasional Advisor

That's simple. An untagged vlan is the vlan-id on that port that has no IEEE 803.1Q tag / field in it's ethernet-frame, so you can only have 1 vlan that has no tag / field on a port. that's the naming untagged. - vlan. that's why you can have multiple tagged vlan's on a port and only one untagged.

So if you have a client or a device that's not support 803.1q tagged frames only "see" the untagged packets. It will just ignore all tagged packets for it's missing support for it.

exemple: Client(Has no vlan)<--->Port-(Untagged 234)-becomes->Tagged(234)-Inswitch--->Port(Tagged 234)

It's all in the IEEE 803.1Q standard.

BrackeKommun
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, IEEE 802.1Q is it and the first question: 1820 has only web... so not my strongest part I'm more a CLI-guy.

The web config on 1820 depend on what firmware the switch is running so I can't help you with that right now.

16again
Respected Contributor

To prevent trunk-hybrid port mix-up:  Just never use hybrid port. 
I don't see any use for hybrid mode