4135 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: VLAN on HP2510G

no_name
Frequent Advisor

VLAN on HP2510G

dear,

I just bought HP 2510G-24 port. I interest with feature management port and VLAN.

but now I feel bad, I hardly enought to configure VLAN. can we run 2 VLAN at the same time?

let say If I wanna make configuration like:

port 1-16, as VLAN 1

port 17-24, as VLAN 2.

can both of them run simultan? I don't want port in vlan1 can communicate in VLAN2.

I can use different subnet, but I think this not enough.

also, If I already make some VLANs, when certain VLAN activated, how about the other ports which not in that VLAN?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

The VLANs shouldn't be able to communicate with one another if there's no in-common ports and no in-common gateway to route traffic.

If the VLANs have different subnets and the same gateway/router, then they will be able to communicate with one another on Layer 3 via IP unless the gateway/router is specifically configured to block the traffic.
Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.
no_name
Frequent Advisor

hi, sorry for late response.

let say I configure for VLAN1:

- port 1-16, tagged

does it mean we have 2 networks (port 1-16 and port 17-24), which can't communicate each other?

Arimo
Respected Contributor

Hi

Yes, that's what it means.

However you need to understand tagging. If you want to connect end devices to ports, you usually need to leave them untagged. Standard PC NICs do not understand 802.1Q tagging, so they will not be able to process packets coming from the switch with VLAN tags. Ports connecting to end devices should be configured untagged. Where you generally use tagged ports is your uplinks, as these must carry the traffic from multiple VLANs.

The VLANs should be on different subnets. The VLAN traffic is separated on Layer 2, so no communication is allowed from one VLAN to another by the switch. If the devices in the different VLANs are able to communicate with each other, you have somewhere a routing device which is routing the traffic.

HTH,

Arimo
HPE Networking Engineer