5757 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

desperately trying to team nic on 2810-24g

firewireflow
Occasional Contributor

desperately trying to team nic on 2810-24g

hi guys,

I am desperately trying to setup NIC teaming to increasing the performance connecting via smb share to an nas4free server. 

the situation:

-z8pe-d12x motherboard with 2x intel 82574L Gigabit Adapters (in my windows 7 workstation)

-HP 2810-24g switch

-Intel ANS network drivers installed

-airport gives static IP to each of the network adapters via DHCP

here is what i did so far:

after installing i get the tab "teaming" within the network adapters in the device manager. i set up the teaming with the second adapter and chose "Dynamic Link Aggregation".

On the switch I trunk two ports in LACP. the trk1 group is untagged (default VLAN)

The newly create "virtual Network Adapter" shows up in the device manager and both network adapters show up as active (ready to receive and send traffic). The Problem now is that Windows tries to connect to the network but after identifying for a while it just says "Unidentified Network" and doesnt connect.

It drives me nuts!!! I have been researching and trying all day long but nothing helped. 

Additional info:

my network adapters get their static ip via dhcp (adapter 1 = 10.0.1.33, adapter 2 = 10.0.1.34)

After the teaming", the new "virtual" adapter has the same mac address as physical adapter 1 but gets a totally random ip assigned (something that starts with 169)

Please, please help me! I am desperate!

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6
firewireflow
Occasional Contributor

Re: desperately trying to team nic on 2810-24g

anyone?

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

"static IP via DHCP"?

So long as both interfaces are patched to switchports that are in the same VLAN, this isn't likely to be a switch-related issue.

How is the virtual meant to acquire its IP address?

firewireflow
Occasional Contributor

thanks for your reply!

I'm a total newb whitch this kind of stuff. Could you please elaborate what exactly you mean?

I was wondering too how the virtual adapter should get its IP assigned via DHCP if it is the same that physical adapter 1.

If I, however, assign a static IP (manual) it still doesn't work.

Is my approach with setting up the teaming basically correct? Or am I doing something completely wrong? Just trying to find where the problem is.

Thanks
Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

This is a switch forum, you are asking a server NIC-teaming question in the wrong place, really.

Surely your server has documentation that takes you through the NIC-teaming process step-by-step?

firewireflow
Occasional Contributor

thanks again for your reply.

sorry for upsetting you. networking is not my profession!

the nic teaming works fine. no errors there. i dig deeper and deeper into the switch configuration and learn a lot.

the problem that I encounter is that the switch seems to block the ports and i dont know why.

-port 7 is blocked by LACP

-port 8 is blocked by LACP

STP is enabled. both ends are configured with the same settings. it is still not working.

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

I thought the problem was that your virtual network adapter did not have a valid IP address?

Maybe show us the switch config and we can check it?