Aruba & ProVision-based
1753868 Members
7171 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: new vlan will not route out

arnold-coley

new vlan will not route out

i have a hp 2910 1a that i added another vlan, vlan 10 to it, and basically copied the set up for vlans 3 and 9, data and voice. I have only one port in that vlan, it is a untagged port.  I suspect that is the problem. the har5dware attached to the port gets a dhcp address, but will not route out to the default gateway. this is my first time working with hp's, I am slightly more familiar with cisco switcss. I suspect the problem isthat the egress port has a 'no untagged' on it, that would seem logical. i would appreciate some general help, or at least point me to the info i need to solve this. I KNOW i am making a simple mistake, but my time to work on the switchs is very limited, as it is in use almost 24/7.  t5hanks for any help, i already feel dumb enough!!

arnold coley

2 REPLIES 2
RudyW
Occasional Advisor

Hello Arnold--

I understand that you set up a new VLAN on the switch and configure an access port. Do you have a switch virtual interface defined on a layer 3 switch, or a subinterface on a router for the new VLAN? In addition, you need to make sure that the new VLAN is tagged on the uplink port of the switch.

Can you describe the topology and post a copy of the configuration of the switch?

Vince_Whirlwind
Trusted Contributor

Sometimes using the menu on the Procurve switches can help in understanding the VLAN config.

If you are getting a DHCP address, that means either there is a DHCP server on VLAN10, or you are getting to your default gateway and its IP helper is working OK.

Please clarify where the DHCP is coming from.

"Can't route out its default gateway" isn't enormously helpful - can it *ping* its default gateway on VLAN10?