New Discussion юеВ

reload after.. with a switch stack

SOLVED
Go to solution
DDGRUS
Occasional Advisor

reload after.. with a switch stack

Hi all,

Was testing the failover of a site that recently got its backup router setup, the site has a stack of 5 3800 switches in a mesh.

I thought I better enter a reload after 10 just in case the failover did not work, I then disabled the port that had the Primary Router attached, obviously the failover didnt work, 10 minutes passes and it doesnt seem like the switch has rebooted either! luckily I managed to get in touch with our network provider and one of the engineers was able to SSH in through the backup router and enable the port to the Primary Router! upon checking the logs it appears the the command did run but only rebooted the switch wich was the commander, it appears to have kept hold of the running configuration whilst the commander rebooted.

My question is why did this command only reboot the commander? Also, is there a way to set a reload after command to reboot the whole stack?

4 REPLIES 4
Rich R_1
Advisor

Re: reload after.. with a switch stack

I've been in your shoes and the command is "boot system flash xxxxx"  The documentation says the reload only reboots the one switch...yes it is a PITA.

Michael Patmon
Trusted Contributor

Sigh, yeah, reload doesn't help you on HA platforms.  Starting with 16.01 software you can use the job scheduler to accomplish this.  Granted it doesn't help you if you're still on older code.  

(config)# job "reboot" delay 00:00:05 "boot sys"

Will reboot the stack in 5 minutes.

DDGRUS
Occasional Advisor

thanks for the replies, I will have to try both out. Yes massive PITA especially with the situation.

DDGRUS
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi All,

I have managed to find the code for this, it is 

Schedule reboot delay xxx (xxx being the ( (DD:) HH:) MM )

Thank you for the replies but non of those seemed to work on firmware KA 15.14.0012