Re: Altiris SIDgen Service "WARNING Unable to open log file name specified"

bradfordc
Occasional Advisor

Altiris SIDgen Service "WARNING Unable to open log file name specified"

When I'm creating an image from my servers I keep receiving the error:

Altiris SID Service
"WARNING Unable to open log file name specified"
Using Default Log File Name Instead.

This only occurs once the image has been taken and the configuration is being restored.

Any ideas as to what is causing this? It is stopping the automation part of this process as I have to click OK for it to continue.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Tim Joslyn

Delete C:\Sidgen.log before taking the image, this should resolve the issue.

Regards,

Tim
Peter Clark UK

The same thing's happening when capturing or deploying images to and from my Citrix application servers with remapped drives (J & K instead of C & D). Using RDP 3.81. There is no C:\sidgen.log, no J:\sidgen.log, no sidgen.log anywhere on the target server.
I think maybe it's trying to create c:\sidgen.log or similar, but can't because there is no C: drive. Or maybe it's an Aclient log? Logging is turned off in Agent Settings on the RDP server, with the setting to force new clients to take these settings currently enabled. Is there a way I can turn off this logging, so it doesn't even try to create the log file after image capture or deployment?
It progresses fine after clicking Ok, letting it reboot, and clicking Ok again when the message reappears.
Also, it doesn't happen when restoring images taken with an older RDP build based on RDP 3.50. But if I subsequently capture the same server, the problem is back. It seems to be related to updating the Aclient on the target, or possibly some new Aclient settings, when a server is deployed using the new version of RDP.

Can anyone help?
realwheel

Hi there.

The logfile is specified in the following Registry string: HKLM\Altiris\SIDgen\LogFileName

Even though you specify not to create a logfile, you still get an error message when the LogFileName specified is pointing to a none existing location. For example C:\SIDgen.log on a Citrix server that is configured with remapped drives.

All you have to do is change HKLM\Altiris\SIDgen\LogFileName to an existing logfile location and try again.

Good luck!