1753792 Members
7088 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backup & Restore of an RDP Server

Al Harrison
Occasional Advisor

Backup & Restore of an RDP Server

Could you please provide me guidelines on the recommended procedures for backing up and restoring a "Simple" RDP installation which includes DHCP, PXE etc installed on the same server?

In a scenario where a customer has tailored their RDP install by creating customised jobs etc these will be lost if conducting a fresh install. Is there a way of backing these up?
3 REPLIES 3
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

Check the RDP Installation document, for upgrade procedure, if you are talking about RDP upgrade.

I believe RDP does not over write any files/information during upgrade, except that if the existing job and the job on the newer version is same. in that case the new job will overwrite existing one.

one easy way would be to export the current job tree (full tree, choose the parent node) in to a binary file. do a upgrade install, import the job back in to some other job folder. that way you will not loose any job information.

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup
Al Harrison
Occasional Advisor

If you are restoring an RDP Server on to different hardware in a disaster recovery scenario is there a preferred method of recovery?
Gopi Sekar
Honored Contributor

If the old server is still online and data can be retrieved then my first reply holds true.

Install RDP freshly on to the new server and export jobs from old server and import them back on to the new server. Transfer the images from old server to new server and you should be all set to go. Do not forget to copy OS distribution files.

If the old server can not be retrieved then atleast try to recover the images (which are simple binary files) by transferring them to the new server. Have one more backup RDP server which can be simply used to take image of the RDP server so incase of disaster recovery the image can be used to bring back the DS to a known good state.

Regards,
Gopi
Never Never Never Giveup